Thursday, September 7, 2017

God And The Weather

 The floods have risen up, O Lord.
    The floods have roared like thunder;
    the floods have lifted their pounding waves.
But mightier than the violent raging of the seas,
    mightier than the breakers on the shore—
    the Lord above is mightier than these! Psalm 93:3-4NLT


In my Scripture writing for today, I wrote Psalm 93: 1-5. I already had a whole other blog post ready to write, but God showed me this.
People are copying and pasting this thing on Facebook that basically says ALL of our bad weather events are caused by God because we've taken Him out of the United States. They are saying, in a nutshell, that God is CAUSING these horrible things to teach the USA a lesson. That is so wrong!
When I wrote this Scripture, I realized why people think that.
In the Old Testament, God did use weather events to change lives, and honestly, kill some people. The flood is the largest thing that comes to mind.
So, modern Christians in the year 2017, are thinking that God is causing these weather events to kill people because they are wicked and not living like He wants them to.
Now, before you quote me the Scripture that God is the same, yesterday, today and forever, I know it and agree.
However, what I want to point out to you is this simple truth: Answer honestly:
Did Jesus EVER cause a storm in the New Testament?
I'll wait for you to look... 
The answer is NO.
Jesus CALMED storms in the New Testament. Jesus was God in the flesh. 
God sent Jesus so we could see Him. So we could see His character. So He could change the world.
In Matthew chapter 24, Jesus talks about the future. He lets us know that it's going to be bad.
Never once does He say that GOD is causing the bad to happen.
2 Peter 3:9 says, "The Lord is not slow in keeping His promise, as some understand slowness. Instead He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."
God does not cause weather issues to kill people. He does not want ANYONE to die without having a relationship with Him.
I just do not think God causes every single weather event on the earth.
Before you stab me with your words and thoughts, hear me out.
Job chapter 1 has to be the worst to read. Can you imagine losing all of your family, but your spouse, and all of your livelihood in just a few minutes? Here is the part about Job's children.
18 While he was still speaking, another messenger arrived with this news: “Your sons and daughters were feasting in their oldest brother’s home.19 Suddenly, a powerful wind swept in from the wilderness and hit the house on all sides. The house collapsed, and all your children are dead. I am the only one who escaped to tell you.” JOB 1: 18-19
Did God send that wind? 
NO. Go back and read the beginning of Job Chapter 1. Satan did it.
Also, you'll see that fire fell from heaven to kill Job's sheep and shepherds.
That was not God either.
I realize this is an Old Testament reference here, but I'm trying to show you that God is not always the author of weather. 
There are many times in the Bible when rain was needed, and He provided it. Because He can. 
My point is that He doesn't use weather events to kill people. What loving Father would do that?
That's an abusive parent, "Ok, America, you want to take me out of everything, let me burn you up, flood your cities, and send hurricanes to teach you a lesson."
UM NO!!!!!!!!!
Did you know there are actual science tools that can modify weather?
I realize this is not the best source, but if you want to read this, you can: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weather_modification
This was just heavy on my heart. It bothers me that people think God is some bully in heaven waiting to hurt us. He's not. He's not that at all.
What we need to do is pray for the people being affected by these events, and to help when and where you can. Lift up your fellow Americans. Don't tell them that God is killing them because they are bad.
God bless you today and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment