Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Taste & See

"Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in Him." Psalm 34:8

Have you ever wondered why we are told to "taste and see that the Lord is good"? That seems like an odd thing to say, doesn't it?
I was thinking about it though, we use our 5 senses for everything. And, let's be honest, MOST of us are "foodies", we love food.
God wants us to see that He is better than anything else in our lives. I find this combination of words in this Scripture interesting though.
King David wrote this chapter in Psalms, and the Bible says this at the top of it, 

"A psalm of David, regarding the time he pretended to be insane in front of Abimelech, who sent him away."

You see, Abimelech was someone who wanted David's throne. One of many during his lifetime. If you ever read through the Psalms, you see that David did not have a perfect life either.
But God was always with David, through the crazy stuff. Just like He's always with us. 
This will be kind of long, but I feel like you should read it: Psalm 34: 1-7
I will praise the Lord at all times.
    I will constantly speak his praises.
I will boast only in the Lord;
    let all who are helpless take heart.
Come, let us tell of the Lord’s greatness;
    let us exalt his name together.
I prayed to the Lord, and he answered me.
    He freed me from all my fears.
Those who look to him for help will be radiant with joy;
    no shadow of shame will darken their faces.
In my desperation I prayed, and the Lord listened;
    he saved me from all my troubles.
For the angel of the Lord is a guard;
    he surrounds and defends all who fear him.
David was trying his best to give us hope and show us how God will help us when life gets hard.
When he prayed, God answered, just like He does for us now. He will take the bad times and turn them around for your good. 
God just wants to be in a relationship with you. He just wants to walk with you daily and help you through the rough stuff. 
He's not up there waiting to strike you down because you messed up.
One awesome thing that we have that David did not have is the Holy Spirit. (Well, at least, I don't think he did.)
When things are bad, all we have to do is ask the Holy Spirit for help, and He will help. That's part of why He is there.
Remember the verse I wrote on the other day, 1 John 4:4 which says, "But you belong to God, my dear children. You have already won a victory over those people, because the Spirit who lives in you is greater than the spirit who lives in the world."
GREATER is He that is in you, than he who is in the world.
If you don't have a personal relationship with God, and you want help getting through life, will you "taste and see that He is good"? 
Please get in touch with me if you need prayer for anything!
God bless you today and always!

No comments:

Post a Comment