Thursday, April 6, 2017

Let's Talk About Fear

"I prayed to the LORD, and He answered me. He freed me from all my fears." Psalm 34:4

Yesterday's storms really had me afraid. This morning, I realize just how silly that was. Especially after reading some verses in Psalm 34.
I KNOW that God is protecting me. I KNOW that He can calm a storm, so why am I afraid of them?
The Bible also talks about "fearing the Lord." Some people mistakenly think they should be afraid of God. Like, He's going to strike them down with lightening if they mess up kind of afraid.
That's not how God wants us to fear Him. He wants us to be in AWE of who He is. He wants reverence. He wants us to know that He is the Lord of Lord and King of Kings.
God is not an abusive parent. He isn't going to love you one minute and beat you the next.
So, being in reverence of Him is what the Bible means, like in Psalm 34:9, "Fear the Lord, you His godly people, for those who fear Him will have all they need." 
Let's think about this for a second. If we were afraid of someone, like they were going to hurt us, would we even WANT to take anything from them? Better yet, would they give us all we need? 
My fear yesterday was just silly. (Even though, I did have to drive to get away from a tornado.)
This was just before it got really bad.

In this same Psalm, verses 6 and 7 say, "In my desperation I prayed, and the LORD listened, He saved me from my troubles. For the angel of the LORD is a guard; He surrounds and defends all who fear Him." 
So, if I pray, and God hears me and He saves me from my troubles, what do I have to be afraid of?
NOTHING!
You don't have to be afraid of anything either. God has us. God has a plan for our lives and He will not let the enemy stop Him.
Jon Acuff, I writer I admire, is all about helping people do what they love for a living. He believes that people are just happier when they are making money doing what they love. I would have to agree with that. It's hard, though, to go from a steady paycheck to working for yourself, but I have some very successful friends who have done it. Jon has a saying that we all admire:

Punch fear in the face!

So next time you are afraid, punch it in the face and keep moving forward. God is with us!
God bless you today and always!

No comments:

Post a Comment