Sunday, April 9, 2017

Shattered Expectations

"I will wait quietly before God, for my victory comes from Him. He alone is my Rock and my Salvation, my Fortress where I will never be shaken." Psalm 62:1-2
A lot of times in life, things just don't turn out like we expect them to. In case you don't know, King David wrote most of the Psalms. I just recently read several verses in Psalm 62 and was reminded of how his life did not turn out like he thought it would either.
David was anointed King only after Saul, the current King, did not obey God, AND only after his dad went to get him out of the field with the sheep because he forgot all about him.
Talk about rejection from your dad!
Then, after Saul finds out that David is going to take the throne, he goes crazy and does everything in his power to hunt David down and kill him. Did I mention that David is King Saul's sons best friend?
Yeah.
So, David was just being a sheepherder, living his life and it got really interrupted by God's plans. Which is cool, accept now, he's running for his life.
If those aren't shattered expectations, I don't know what is!
Can you imagine, being in the field one day, and thinking you are going to be in the palace the next? Only to begin running for your life?
In my Beth Moore prayer devotional, she said this, "Dashed expectations can devastate, but something wonderful can come from it - something I'm not sure we can adequately discover any other way. The motivation for Psalm 62 was disappointment - but the theme was GOD ALONE."
The moral of the story is, people will ALWAYS let you down. I'm sure if I asked you about a time someone let you down, you could tell me about more than one. It happens. 
BUT GOD.
God will NEVER let us down. When we place our expectations on Him and let Him be the Lord of our lives, things will work out according to His will. 
Let me show you verses 5-8  too:
"Let all that I am wait quietly before God, for my hope is in Him. He alone is my Rock and my Salvation, my Fortress where I will not be shaken. My victory and honor come from God alone. He is my Refuge, a Rock where no enemy can reach me. O my people, trust in Him at all times. Pour out your heart to Him, for God is our refuge."
Notice that David repeated the first two verses here. Maybe he was just saying it out loud again so he would remember it. Or maybe he wanted us to be sure we read it and understood it.
God might not answer our prayers the way we want Him to or in the time frame we want Him to. And that's ok. Because it's something we need to wrap our brains around. He is God.
He knows what's best for us. He knows what we need, when we need it. 
He is the One who will never let us down. 
Place all of your expectations on Him. He loves you. He wants to be your everything.
Will you do that today? I hope so.
God bless you today and always!

No comments:

Post a Comment