Tuesday, April 4, 2017

How Worry Helps Us

"Worry weighs a person down;
    an encouraging word cheers a person up." Proverbs 12:25

My Pastor is almost finished with his message series called "Mind Monsters." This past Sunday was about worry. This coming Sunday is about depression. If you are within driving distance of Albany, GA, I highly recommend you attend this service. Chances are, you have battled depression or someone you love has, so I can't wait to hear what Josh has to say about it!
Josh said that we are in a time where more people struggle with worry and anxiety than any other time in history. More prescriptions are written for anti-anxiety medicine than ever as been.
What's happened to our society? Why are we so worrisome and anxious?
I think it's because we've taken our eyes off of God and placed them on our problems.
Therefore, we've magnified our problems, and made God look small. The reality is, it should be the other way around.
Here are some ways worry helps us:
  1. It causes you to go to the doctor more because your body can't handle the stress.
  2. It lets you "what if" your life away.
  3. It takes your focus off the One who could actually help you.
  4. It causes depression, so that just adds to what you are dealing with.
  5. It pollutes your present.
How about that for a great list? LOL
These were Josh's points and they are so awesome!
  1. Freedom from worry is found in living ONE DAY at a time. (Deuteronomy 33:25)
  2. The strength God gives you today doesn't function in your imaginary tomorrow.
  3. Worry is anticipating an event in the future without God in the equation.(Psalm 46:1)
  4. When you are building God's Kingdom, everything you need is added to your life. No need to worry if you'll get what you need.
  5. Worry keeps you from growing spiritually.
I think, when you start to worry, if you attempt to turn that worry into a prayer, it will help.
This is getting your focus OFF the issues at hand, and it's turning to God for His will and input.
We had another storm yesterday and I am not going to lie, I was anxious. I have always disliked storms since I was a little girl. In 4th grade, we had a tornado go over our school. It's just something you don't forget. (In case you forgot, or are a new reader, we had two really bad storms in January of this year.)
We have another storm coming tomorrow, at night, I believe, that is going to be worse than yesterday. I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried. I do and have prayed though. I ask God to keep everyone safe. And I am praying for our city because we are just storm beaten to death. 
One other thing Josh said is that worry is different from concern, because worry has to do with something we have NO control over. I know full well I can't control the weather, so why on earth do I worry over it? This is a lesson I need to learn.
I pray with all of my heart that this helps someone today. Will you work on this and get the worry out of your life? I think you will be a more joyful person if you do. Oh... one more thing Josh said,
"When worry comes in the front door of your life, joy goes out the back." ~`Josh Copron
Don't let worry run your joy off! Who's with me?
God bless you today and always!

No comments:

Post a Comment