Monday, January 23, 2017

We Need Help!

"16 Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Believe it or not, but my town had a full weekend of storms again. I don't even know if I can accurately put into words how I'm feeling.
I have never had Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. But I have struggled through storms especially since the fourth grade when I experienced a tornado at school. The way I feel today, makes me wonder if PTSD is something I am dealing with.
While I am thankful that my home isn't damaged, my heart breaks for the people's homes who are. 

Yesterday's tornado was a deadly one. Some parents even wrapped their 2 month old baby up in blankets and put her in the dryer in hopes that it would keep her alive. It did. But they didn't make it. That just brings me to tears.
I saw some of the tornado path yesterday. I was trying to meet my best friend at her mom's. Her house was hit, she's around 80 years old and can't see or hear well. So I was concerned. 
Everything was so bad, I couldn't get to her. Every way I tried was blocked.
We need help here! We need chain saws, clothes, toiletry items, diapers, formula, food, and prayer. 
If you live far away and would like to donate to the relief efforts, this is a link to my church website: Providence Church/ Give When you get to that screen, under the word "donate", scroll for the "Albany Relief Fund" button,  that money goes directing into the community for people's needs.
Our storm on January 2nd did not even really make national news. So far, The Weather Channel picked up a little on this one because this line of storms had been traveling and causing issues in other states before it got here. 
This is why we need your help. No one hears us down here. But God knows our needs!
God is helping us and we already have things in place from a few weeks ago.
If you'd like to volunteer, Samaritan's Purse has training at 7:30am and 12:30pm every day. They will train you and send you out to help clean up. 
Here is a post from Sherwood Baptist Church's Facebook page from last night: "We need volunteers for the Samaritans Purse disaster relief tomorrow! Please come to the Coke Plant 925 Pine avenue at 7:30am tomorrow. Come in force, come ready to serve, come ready to #HelpAlbany"
PLEASE do what you can. Pray, donate, volunteer, whatever. We need it. And what a great chance to be God's hands and feet to a hurting community!
Father God, my heart is heavy this morning. I feel as if it's just been a roller coaster of a weekend. So much going on, people getting hurt, others passing away, and being afraid having to go to a safe place when the tornado warnings were going off. We need help Lord. Please send more help. Please heal those of us who are upset. Please heal the people who are physically hurt. Please comfort those who are missing loved ones. Please help the people who lost their homes or are displaced from their homes today. Thank you for all that you have already done here. And thank you for the more that will happen. I know that you will bring love and unity. I know that you will provide for the needs of the people because that's how you are. I thank you for all you have done and will continue to do. In Jesus name, amen.
God bless you today and always!

No comments:

Post a Comment