Friday, January 20, 2017

The Devil's Schemes

"Put on all of God's armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil." Ephesians 6:11 NLT


In the summer of 2012, I met a then 18 year old girl who was pretty down on her luck. Life had not dealt her a great deck of cards. We took her in and took care of her for a little while. She has felt like a daughter to me ever since.
I won't lie, we've had some rough times, but I believe she's in my life for a reason...as am I in her's.
She started reading a new book and it has changed her life, so she generously ordered one for me. What she wrote on the gift tag brought me to tears. The one thing I want to do is help people. To know that anything I've ever done for someone made such an impact on their life makes my heart happy. 
Well, the book was Fervent by Priscilla Shirer. I'm only on page 17, and I have to share this with you! Angel, thank you for buying me this book. I am forever grateful!
I have read that Ephesians Scripture typed out above many times. I know about the armor of God. I don't "put it on" every day though. And honestly have never really thought about the fact that our enemy has strategies and schemes to mess us up. 
I mean, I know if you are a Christian, and he can keep you from praying and attending church, then he will try. I also know from C.S. Lewis' book Screwtape Letters how he will try to mess up your relationships with others.
But something about this just really moved me this morning. So I'm going to share it!
Shirer writes, "There's that word again. Strategies. Schemes and deceptive plots being concocted for your demise by a very real enemy who is always primed to make his next move."
Then, where Paul tells the Ephesians 6 in verses 18-19 to "Pray in the Spirit at all times", she wrote, "There it is. The fuel that drives everything. Prayer."
I can't wait to dig further in this book, but I want to share with you the top 10 ways our enemy comes against us based on questions Shirer asked and compiled.
Strategy 1- Against Your Passion - He seeks to dim your whole desire for prayer, dull your interest in spiritual things, and downplay the potency of your most strategic weapons.(Ephesians 6:10-20)
Strategy 2 - Against Your Focus - He disguises himself and manipulates your perspective so you end up focusing on the wrong culprit, directing your weapons at the wrong enemy.(2Corin 11:14)
Strategy 3 - Against Your Identity - He magnifies your insecurities, leading you to doubt what God says about you and to disregard what He's given you. (Ephesians 1: 17-19)
Strategy 4 - Against Your Family - He wants to disintegrate your family, dividing your home, rendering it chaotic, restless, and unfruitful. (Genesis 3:1-7)
Strategy 5 - Against Your Confidence - He constantly reminds you of your past mistakes and bad choices, hoping to convince you that you're under God's judgment rather than under the blood. (Rev. 12:10)
Strategy 6 - Against Your Calling - He amplifies fear, worry, and anxiety until they're the loudest voices in your head, causing you to deem the adventure of following God too risky to attempt. (Joshua 14:8)
Strategy 7 - Against Your Purity - He tries to tempt you toward certain sins, convincing you that you can tolerate them without risking consequence, knowing they'll only wedge distance between you and God. (Isaiah 59:1-2)
Strategy 8 - Against Your Rest and Contentment - He hopes to overload your life and schedule, pressuring you to constantly push beyond your limits, never feeling permission to say no. (Deut. 5:15)
Strategy 9 - Against Your Heart - He uses every opportunity to keep old wounds fresh in mind, knowing that anger and hurt and bitterness and unforgiveness will continue to roll the damage forward. (Hebrews 12:15)
Strategy 10 - Against Your Relationships - He creates disruption and disunity within your circle of friends and within the shared community of the body of Christ. (1 Timothy 2:8)
WOW!!! These all seem on point to me. How about you?
I honestly never thought that his attacks would be so detailed and that he would try so hard, but he does.
You know why? Because he can't get your soul if you are saved. So he will make your life miserable just to have fun.
Let's stop letting that happen. Who's with me?? I'm tried of allowing him to do this in my life. I'm going to finish reading this book and learn the ways to pray that will keep him away from me and loved ones as much as possible.
I hope this helps someone today. I just had to share it.
God bless you today and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment