Thursday, December 8, 2016

School of Prayer

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7
Last Friday, I helped my dad with some stuff around the house. He's moving things from their garage to this storage building he bought. 
There was a metal locked box. You know the kind you'd use at a yard sale with a key to keep your money in? Yeah, that kind.
The key was sticking out of the key hole, so I opened it to see if anything was inside. What I found was a treasure to me. It's a little bent up book called "Prayer Guide" by Andrew Murray.
When I opened the cover, in the middle of the printed words, I read,
"With Christ in the school of prayer." It was my Granny's handwriting. She was my mom's mom.
She wrote several things all throughout the book under each day as she read too!
These are dated 1999. She was killed in a car crash on April 1, 2000. 
In 1998, she gave us some amazing books for Christmas. You see, that's how my Granny gave advice. If she read the book and enjoyed it, she would get us all one. 
I have no idea how she afforded to. She was living on a fixed income, and there were a lot of us. Two books she gave us that Christmas was Stormie Omartian's Power of a Praying Parent, and Power of a Praying Wife. I honestly can't find my parent book, so last year I borrowed my parents. On the front page, this is what she wrote:
"Note: I am 74 years old and I feel that I am just now learning to pray as God would have me to. I wish I had had the information in this book to help me along the way. I hope you will find it helpful to your prayer life too. You cannot go from the cradle to the grave without a frequent and fervent prayer life. "Pray without ceasing." 1 Thessalonians 5:17"
WOW!
First of all, I think it's awesome that at that age, she was still learning.
Second of all, I think how amazing it is that she was passing along the information to help us.
I have a LOVE for things about prayer. Maybe her prayers for me have been answered in that way. I enjoy reading books about prayer. I love talking to others about prayer. I love praying!
My next book will be about prayer. It's become a part of my Spiritual DNA.
In the Andrew Murray book, there is a list of people on a little piece of paper. They were her neighbors with their address, name, and phone numbers. 
My Granny started a neighborhood PRAYER watch! How incredible is that?
The reason I know that's what this list is, is because of what she has written on the bottom.
Two things are "ministry" and "motive". 
It's never too late to learn how to pray. It's never too late to pray either. 
God loves you so much. When you pray, you are talking to Him, as if you would talk to me. He wants to hear from you. He wants to tell you great and wonderful things. He wants to answer your prayers.
YES! He wants to answer your prayers!
He can't answer if you don't talk to Him. 
It's my prayer for every person who reads this blog to know how much God loves them. It's also my prayer to help you draw closer to Him through the words He inspires me to write. 
I would love to pray for you too. So if you need prayer, please ask. If you have questions about how to pray, please ask. I'm not an expert, but I would love to share what I've learned.
God bless you today and always!

No comments:

Post a Comment