Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Jogging with Jesus

Galatians 5: 16, "But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh."
I mentioned this in a post the last week or so, but I felt like I needed to talk about it again. I have started jogging. Yes, me. LOL It is not one of my favorite activities at all.
My friend Kim and I hit the asphalt in our neighborhood at 6am five days a week. At least three of those days, we do intervals where we walk 2 minutes, and jog/ run for 30 seconds. Since we've been doing this awhile, we bumped the jogging up to 40 seconds.
I know, I know, you think, "What's 40 seconds?" It seems FOREVER when you are doing something you don't feel like you are good at. (or that you want to be doing that early in the morning.)
Over this last month, I have tried to figure out what works for me. I have tried looking down at the road exclusively, as well as looking up at the road ahead of me.
Here is what I've noticed:
My phone flash light is on. We have street lights, but when we hit the dark spots, my flash light provides just what I need to see the road at my feet. My next steps, if you will.
When I'm in the "safety" of the street light glow, I can look up and see where the end of that 40 seconds is.
God's Word is called a lamp unto our feet. We are also called to be a light to the world, and shine our light BEFORE men. We are not called to judge and shine our light ON other people. That's God's job. But we shine God's light BEFORE them to show them the way, then can take next steps in confidence.
When I'm in the safe glow of the street light, I'm reminded of God's love and His umbrella of safety.
My Wednesday night Bible study teacher, Mr. Ernest says that nothing can hurt him when he's under God's safe umbrella of protection. (As he's teaching with a cyst on his arm that has his hand swollen twice the size of his other hand, and causing him to not be able to move that arm as much.) He doesn't let things get him down.
Walking by the Spirit, in the Spirit, and with the Spirit is the best way to live. I am trying my best. Every once in a while, my flesh causes me problems.

Just like jogging. I feel the strain on my shins. I feel a pain in my feet from time to time, or around my ankle. Hearing my feet pound the payment and seeing my flash light swing on the ground just reminds me that this body I'm in is not perfect.
BUT GOD!
God is always here, leading, guiding and loving me. Even when I mess up.
Are you jogging with Jesus? Maybe you should give it a try.
God bless you today and always!

No comments:

Post a Comment