Monday, August 1, 2016

What's Your Name?

"When Jesus was still some distance away, the man saw him, ran to meet him, and bowed low before him. With a shriek, he screamed, “Why are you interfering with me, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? In the name of God, I beg you, don’t torture me!” For Jesus had already said to the spirit, “Come out of the man, you evil spirit.”
Then Jesus demanded, “What is your name?”
And he replied, “My name is Legion, because there are many of us inside this man.” 10 Then the evil spirits begged him again and again not to send them to some distant place." Mark 5: 6-10
Yesterday, we had the honor of having our former Pastor, Jason Spears speak at church. It was a great message and something I have never really thought about.
This Scripture I posted above is what he spoke on. If you are anything like me, you probably thought Jesus was asking the evil spirit what it's name was. Jason pointed out that Jesus had already told it to come out of the man, therefore, He was not asking it was it's name was. He was asking the man what his name was.
This was Jesus' way of building a relationship with the guy. I'm sure, because Jesus knew everything, that He already knew the man's name. That's kind of an awkward way to start a friendship though, isn't it? "Hey John, I know your name, let's be friends." LOL
Jesus asked questions sometimes, not because He didn't know the answer, but because He wanted to see where people were in their lives. And, He wanted to build a relationship with them.
I am a firm believer that relationship is what is needed to show people Jesus. Screaming on the street corner, holding signs, and/ or passing out tracts are not good ways to show love, in my humble opinion.
Asking someone's name, listening to their story, then telling them your story of how Jesus changed your life... THAT'S how we show love and bring people to Christ.
Who can you talk to today and ask their name? Look around. Pay attention. Then listen to the Holy Spirit speak to your heart.
God bless you today and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment