Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Let's Talk About Death

"13 Brothers and sisters, we do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so that you do not grieve like the rest of mankind, who have no hope. 14 For we believe that Jesus died and rose again, and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him." 1 Thessalonians 4: 13-14
Cheery topic today, huh? Yeah, I know. It's not really a fun one to talk about.
This past week my Facebook news feed has been full of my friends losing loved ones. It's heart breaking. I am friends with mothers who are grieving the loss of their children. Children who are grieving the loss of their mothers. Friends who have lost friends. 
Please hear me on this: Grief is different for everyone. No two people will grieve the same. Even a husband and wife who have lost a child won't handle it the same. Grief is personal.
As Christians, we have hope though. This is one of the Scriptures that gives me that hope:
2 Corinthians 5:8, "We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord."
When we die as Christians, we go home with the Lord... we go to Heaven. That gives me hope. It helps me know that my loved ones are with God. 
Jesus' death, burial and resurrection are what gives us this hope. He defeated death. Therefore, anyone who is in Christ, defeats it too.
55 “Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?” 1 Corinthians 15:55
Someone posted a video of Beth Moore last night. She was teaching and talked about a time when her in-laws took the entire family to dinner because it was their anniversary. Here is the link: Beth Moore talks about death What she says is that we can't forget the people who are here.
We do that sometimes, don't we? I know for me, when I lost my twin sons in 1996, I struggled for awhile. I remember my ex Father in law dressing up as Santa for Christmas. I had one niece, she's the oldest. My FIL danced with my Mother in law and asked her what she wanted for Christmas. She said, "For Breanna to get everything she wants." I got up and went outside crying, because I knew if I had of been still pregnant with the twins, she would have mentioned them too. She didn't mean any harm at all. But even a month later, it was still on my heart. 
Losing someone young, or even like that, in a pregnancy, causing you to not only grieve their death, but also the life they could have had. 
I have a friend who died last September. His wife, also a dear friend of mine, has mourned his death, tried to help her three kids mourn the loss of their dad, and mourned the fact that they won't have their dad around for future events... like walking his daughters down the isle.
Death is heavy!
Let me assure you... God keeps His promises, and one of those promises is to comfort those who mourn. 
Matthew 5:4, "Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted."
God knows how you feel. God sees your tears. And you know what? I'm a firm believer that God does not always do the "taking" of someone. God knows when it's our time to go, and the person who dies had a plan and purpose, but I do not believe for a second that God makes everyone die. (I've written about this before a couple of years ago.)
I pray that you know you are loved. I pray that you know that God wants to comfort you. He's there in your grief. 
If you need prayer, contact me. I'd love to pray for you.
God bless you today and always!

No comments:

Post a Comment