Thursday, July 14, 2016

What Worrying Means

"Can all your worries add a single moment to your life?" Luke 12:25
My friend Barbara and I started reading the parables together today. God opened my eyes to something I have NEVER seen before and I have to share it. All these years, I've skipped over it and never noticed.
The parable of the rich fool is in Luke chapter 12 also. It's verses 13-21. Verse 22 then begins the "Teaching about money and possessions" as my Bible lists it... which includes the not worrying Scriptures.
SO... are you sitting down?
Verse 21, the last line about the rich fool who wanted to tear down his barns and build bigger barns then just sit back and enjoy life... says this:
"Yes, a person is a fool to store up earthly wealth but not have a rich relationship with God." Luke 12:21
Did you see it? Storing up earthly wealth, which goes away over time, and not having a rich relationship with God makes you a fool.
Now, hold on a second... because this is the next part we miss:
22 Then, turning to His disciples, Jesus said, "That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life- whether you have enough food to eat or enough clothes to wear."
Right after Jesus said that you are a fool for not having a rich relationship with God, He turned to His disciples and started talking about worrying.
That farmer was going to build bigger barns and provide for himself, so he wouldn't have to worry, INSTEAD of relying on God.
I don't know about you... but my mind is blown.
How many times have to read these "do not worry" Scriptures, but never put the verses above with it? 
I think the lesson here is this: A rich relationship with God should keep me from worrying.
It means I'm fully relying on Him.
It means that I am trusting Him.
It means that I am having a close, rich relationship with Him.
This all reminds me of my friend Matt Ham's book too, "Redefine Rich". Our culture has this idea of what "rich" is. We have all these famous people who are only famous because they have money. We have idolized them and put them on this huge pedestal, and in reality, they aren't rich at all!
Please go check out Matt's book, I think it might change your perspective on richness, worrying, and more. I loved it!
What's missing in your relationship with God? What causes you to worry?
My biggest worries are money and my children's futures. I need to take my own advice and dig into my relationship with God, so it's richer, so I won't worry.
Will you join me? Let's take this adventure together!
God bless you today and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment