Wednesday, June 22, 2016

A Friend's Love

"A friend loves at ALL times and a brother is born for adversity." Proverbs 17:17

Today is one of my best friend's birthdays!!! YAY!
I wanted to surprise her by writing a blog about her, but also about friendship.
You see, I believe that God created us for relationships. After all, when He made Adam, He realized that it wasn't good for Adam to be alone, so He created woman. His wife. 
Marriage relationships are important, we know that. However, we also need friendships.
I met Barbara three years ago when I started a new studio I found to do Zumba at. I attended during the day, and she attended at night, so we didn't get to know each other right away.
I eventually started attending at night, and met her... I had met Reggie too during the classes. (Barbara's husband.)
Honestly, I can't remember how the friendship started, but I remember when it really got close, and that was the fall of 2014. Barbara and Reggie were getting married. She posted on Facebook that she didn't have a clue what she was doing, so I offered to help. Spending time with them planning, shopping, and preparing for the wedding.
THAT's when I saw not only their love for each other, but how much they cared for me.
Barbara is the type of person that will tell you the truth... even if it hurts your feelings. I appreciate that about her, because sometimes I need to be set straight. However, when she does, she does it in love. She's not judging me, or being Holier than me, she's simply stating the truth. 
She also has a great love for God. She has told me before how much her life has changed living for God and following Him. She loves to read in Psalms, that's why I asked if she wanted to follow this 30 day reading plan for June, so we've been doing that together.
Today in our reading, Psalm 97:11 reminded me of her, "Light shines on the Godly and joy on those whose hearts are right." Then, in another reading list I read, John 1:5, "The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness can never extinguish it."
One other thing that really impresses me with Barbara is how much she cares about other people. Reggie had a dream about owning his own Zumba studio. She helped make his dream come true, and then added to it by helping him start a second class that's more of a toning type class. She has researched my health condition and healthy habits and taught a class to me about them. This is just amazing to me. 
You see, friends are here to help us have a better life. They bring us joy, walk with us during the hard times, and laugh at us at others. It's about balance, and it's about having people that you actually do life with. 
The best part is having people who love you no matter what. Barbara has listened to me over the years during times of pity parties and times of joy. I remember texting her after I started noticing body changes from that second class. She rejoiced with me... then face to face she said, "Reggie and I noticed that your t-shirt was fitting differently, but we didn't want to say anything. We wanted you to notice when I measured you."
That fitness center isn't about them. It's about us. They want US to succeed and become the best we can. That's true friendship.
I hope and pray that you have someone in your life like this. And that you are this type of friend. We need each other. Life is hard. 
God bless you today and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment