Sunday, May 29, 2016

Trust and Obey

"But Samuel replied, "Does the LORD delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as much as in obeying the LORD? To obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed is better than the fat of rams." 1 Samuel 15:22
Trust & Obey
If you grew up in traditional church, you might remember the Hymn with these words, "Trust and obey for there's no other way, to be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey."
When I sang those lyrics years ago, they didn't mean to me what they mean today.
My life has not turned out like I thought it would. (I bet some of you can say the same.)
I think growing up, we all have dreams and a picture in our mind of how we think our lives will turn out.
I know for me, I didn't really fully live for God until 1996 after going through two miscarriages. 
Sad way to turn to God, but that's the truth. Since then, I've grown in my faith and relationship with God. I'm not perfect by any means. I sin every day...but I strive to hear from Him and do what He tells me to.
One of those things, was for me to write a book. Well, publish a book. I had already written it. I just pulled my blog posts together and added something to each one. I want to help people see God for who He really is.
I'll be honest, I struggle with promoting my book. I feel somewhat selfish for asking people to buy it. I talked with several of my friends about it this week. 
One said if God told me to do it, then He has a reason and people need what I wrote. I'm thinking, "People need what I wrote? Little ole me?" The point is, it's what God told me to write.
Each time I post on this blog, it's because I feel like God spoke to me about something and He wants me to share it with my readers. So it's not me. It's Him. If I am doing what He's called me to do, then promoting my book is promoting HIM. (See, I'm slow, and it takes me a minute sometimes.)
My friend Tyler has experienced the same thing. 6 months or so ago, God told him to quit his full time job and do what he's been called to do. At 30, he calls himself "RETIRED". He has money coming in, he has a small business that he runs, as well as he's a motivational speaker...so he's not drawing any type of retirement fund, but he doesn't feel like he's working at all. 
He was obedient to God's calling on his life, and now he's living fully for God. God provides everything he needs. I'd say that was trusting and obeying fully.
In my Undaunted devotional yesterday, Christine Caine said, "Obedience to God is the key to a life full of love, joy, peace, hope, progress, success, blessing, abundance, and prosperity. Obedience is actually very simple, it's just not easy to do."
I can relate to that statement because Tyler is finding all of those things come true in his life.  I struggled being obedient and publishing my book right when I felt like God told me to. I don't plan on waiting next time. 
What is it that God has told you to do? Have you been obedient, or do you find yourself struggling with it as well? 
If you need pray so that you can take the next step, just ask me. I'd love to pray for you to keep moving forward.
God bless you today and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment