Wednesday, April 20, 2016

The Good Old Days

"Don't long for "the good old days". This is not wise." Ecclesiastes 7:10NLT
Every January we have a guest speaker at our church named Shane Williard. He is an amazing teacher if you want to check him out, go to Shane Williard Ministries
Anyway, I remember him saying this "Why do we wish for the "good old days"? Would you really want to live back then? When people were mistreated? How about dentist treatments back then? Or doctors visits?"
He's right, isn't he? Then, I read the above Scripture this morning. It's not wise to long for the good old days.
I took this at my friend Marci's house.
I took this at my friend Marci's house.
Do I think there are some things about those times that were awesome? Sure! I think the slower pace of life would be nice. We wouldn't feel so rushed to grow up, or move up in our careers. We would take time to "visit" family and friends, as we call it here in the south. 
However, I do not wish for anyone to ever be treated differently. Having separate spaces for blacks and whites was wrong. We all bleed red. We are all God's children, and the color of our skin does not define us or make us any better or worse than anyone else.
Women weren't treated fairly either. We couldn't vote for a long time. Society thought we should just stay "bare foot and pregnant in the kitchen." We were to have children and keep up the home. That's cool and all, but there are some women who are powerful business leaders and entrepreneurs that have changed the world.
I believe that God wants us to live in the HERE and NOW. We should be present in our lives. We need to do what He's called us to do, follow His will and guidance, and handle what He has trusted with well.
Let me say this too... if we are constantly looking back and how things used to be... we are focused on the wrong thing. You have to let go of some of the past and move forward. If there is a lesson to be learned, learn it, but don't let the pass rule your life.
Focusing on how things used to be traps you. It makes you unhappy with what you have.
That is not how God wants us to live. I have said this many times, but I need to say it again. God does not cause the bad things to happen to us. At my church, we have a saying, "If it's not good, it's not God." So, if we are blaming Him for the bad in our lives, we are blaming the wrong person.
God provides for our needs WHEN we need things. God loves us and He wants the best for us. Sometimes, those things we don't have anymore, weren't good for us. To continue to long for something you no longer have is basically telling God that you don't trust His will and plan for your life.
I'm speaking from experience here. I promise I am not trying to put anyone down. One of my struggles has been longing for a man in my life...and seeing women thinner than me and wishing I had my high school body back. I had to stop that. I had to focus on God and His plan and let Him work things out. And, I had to get my brain wrapped around the simple fact that if you eat more calories than you burn, it turns to fat. DUH Jill. I get it now. I feel like I am continuing to lose weight and tone because I am actually watching what I eat and doing exercises that tone muscles. It's only taken me 42 years, but I'm getting it. LOL  
Will you take to this challenge today? Stop looking back and longing for it. That's not God's will and plan for you. He loves you and He wants you to keep moving forward with Him.
Living you life in "could have been", "wish it was the same", "I miss", or "should have been" will only make you miserable. God has a purpose and plan. Trust Him. He will work all things out for your good.
God bless you today and always. 

No comments:

Post a Comment