Friday, March 11, 2016

Peace From Prayer

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." ~ Philippians 4:6

This date will forever be etched into my mind. It was on this date that my former and now deceased Mother in law was born. My birthday is December 11th, so I always thought it was neat that her's was an 11th as well. She laughed a lot, was a great cook and she loved her children and grandchildren. I miss her.

Also, on this date, is the day three years ago that I opened my own checking account because my husband was leaving. I am not dwelling on it at all. It's just something I think about every year this date rolls around.

That huge life change could have knocked me to my knees and kept me there. I was a stay at home, home-schooling mom. Out of the 19 year marriage, I was probably a stay at home mom for 13 of them. I honestly feel like one of my callings was to be a mom. However, it was not really a dream of mine. Some women grow up dreaming of being a wife and mom. I just always wanted to write. Which, thankfully, I get to do. 

In my Christine Caine devotional today she talked about peace through prayer and how her life was turned upside down when she found out at 33 years old that she was actually adopted. Everything she had known about her life wasn't true.

She wrote this, "I believe there is a direct correlation between trusting God and prayer. Prayer is our way to communicate with the Father, our opportunity to bring our gratitude, needs, and concerns before Him. Sometimes we think we don't have enough time to pray because we have a zillion other things to do and no extra slot in our schedule. I know that feeling well. I was not able to find peace in my heart about my prayer life until I discovered this one thing: Prayer has no formal location or time-slot requirement! Simply put, prayer is a way of life."

She goes on to say that when we pray, we are trusting God with our needs and our future, instead of depending on ourselves.

Isn't that what we do? Depend on ourselves? We think, 'I've got this." and just do our thing.

Can I just be honest with you a minute? If I would have tried to live these last three years on my own, I would probably be insane.

Seriously.

God has done so much in my life. Is it perfect? NOPE! But He is there, loving me, lifting me up, walking with me daily, and ministering to my heart like only He can.

Peace is a gift from God that is already inside of us if we have the Holy Spirit. It's a "fruit" of the Spirit, according to the Bible. We just have to allow that peace to work. Making prayer a priority helps us get the peace we are looking for.

We stay so busy that we put God on the back burner and we don't take time to pray. 

Like Christine said, there is no formal way to pray or specific time. Do whatever works best for you. God just wants to hear from you.

If you are in need of some peace today. Get alone with God somewhere. Even if it's only 5 minutes. Ask Him to fill you with His peace and to help you through the rough spots. He will.

God bless you today and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment