Wednesday, March 2, 2016

How Do You Handle Disappointment?

"Why am I discouraged? Why is my heart so sad? I will put my hope in God! I will praise Him again - my Savior and my God!" ~Psalm 42:11 NLT

Disappointments happen as early as infancy. Have you ever seen a baby cry after finishing a bottle? As if they wanted more?

Just being alive guarantees that you WILL suffer from disappointment. It's a part of our lives, unfortunately. 

Yesterday was Super Tuesday, and many states voted for the Republican and Democratic primary. I am sure that many people are waking up to hear news that is seriously disappointing them.

If life worked out for us perfectly all the time, we wouldn't grow. I mean, if everything was awesome, as the kid's movie sang, then we'd be in heaven, right? 

Having a healthy outlook on life is a good way to be ready when you are disappointed. 
Here is what I do:

1. Realize that God is always there. God tells us repeatedly in Scripture that He will never leave or forsake us. This has been a comfort to me since my divorce, and because my ex husband left me. I know that God never will. I believe and trust that.

2. God has a plan for our lives. Knowing that I'm not just wandering through life with no destination and no plan is helpful. I can trust that God knows what He's doing... even if and when I think He doesn't. Also, He doesn't cause the bad in our lives, remember that.

3. God will turn the bad around for our good.  I can not count the number of times that God has turned something bad in my life around for my good. I will tell you the biggest one though... losing my twin sons. That was a horrible experience. But God stepped in, and gave me His peace that passed all understanding..and you better bet I RAN into His loving arms and let Him help me through it.

Psalm 100: 5 says, "For the LORD is good, His unfailing love continues forever, and His faithfulness continues to each generation."

God doesn't stop loving us, or decide that one generation is just going to miss out on His love. He is always here, continuing to love us even when we are disappointed.

Trusting God through the disappointment isn't always easy, but if you can, it will help you like it's helped me.

If you are struggling through a disappointment right now, I would love to pray for you. Get in touch with me.

God bless you today and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment