Monday, January 25, 2016

Smooth Words

"Like apples of gold in settings of silver is a word spoken in right circumstances." 
Proverbs 25:11

Have you ever had one of those moments where you open your mouth and inserted your foot? I know I have. 

There are a few situations that happen in our lives when I think people just shouldn't talk at all.

1. When someone has a miscarriage.
2. When someone passes away.
3. When someone is in the process of passing away.

We tend to want to comfort people with our words when one of these terrible things happens in their lives. Honestly, most of the time, just being there is enough. 

There is a thing called the "Ministry of presence." It's just being there with them. In Jewish culture, it's what they do. When someone passes away, they sit with their friend in silence for seven days. Have you ever wondered why there were so many people at Mary and Martha's house when Lazarus had already been dead a few days? That's why. They were mourning with them, without saying a word.

I believe there are certain times as well, when someone needs a positive word. One day at my work, there was a church member helping out in the Pre-school area. (We have a Mother's Morning Out program.) Anyway, I felt like God said, "Tell her that she's pretty." It was odd. And I was uncomfortable... I thought, "She's going to think I'm nuts. Or worse, hitting on her." LOL

I wasn't able to tell her that day, but the next day, she was out in the hallway, and I told her what I felt like God asked me to tell her. It really made her feel good.

Even if it's weird, if you know God asked you to tell someone something, I recommend doing it. Like the Scripture says, the word is precious and valuable.

Have you ever had a situation like this? Did you follow through and say what God lead you to say?

Say what you know He's told you to, and keep quiet if He didn't tell you to say anything.

God bless you today and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment