Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Lying Crushes People

Proverbs 26:28 NAS, "A lying tongue hates those it crushes, And a flattering mouth works ruin."

Sometimes the Bible can really seem harsh. However, the truth does hurt on occasion. 

I very much dislike lying. I almost hate it. Mostly because I have been lied to so much in my life. 

I would much rather someone tell the truth, hurt my feelings or make me mad, then let's move forward.

Lying can really feel like you are being crushed, just as the Scripture above says. 


Flattering isn't much better because most of the time, the person is either lying or trying to butter you up for something.

Why do people choose to lie anyway?

I think there are several reasons.

1. They don't know any better. If the person is not living for God, they don't even realize that lying is wrong. 

2. They were taught how growing up and taught to use lying to their advantage. This is totally sad to me, but true. There are parents who lie. Their behavior is learned by the children and it just continues.

3. They use it as a way to protect themselves. Maybe they are lying in order to keep someone from hurting them. Or maybe they are lying to not be hurt more. (I'm thinking of when someone is being abused.)

4. They do not want people to know the real them or the truth about their life. Lying and making up a life seems easier and better in their minds.

Whatever the reason is, lying does not help anyone. When someone continuously lies, they can not be trusted. If you do not have trust in a relationship, what do you have?

Lying also isolates the person who is doing it. People don't want to be around a liar that they can't trust.

If you struggle with lying, even those little "white lies" as we call them, ask God to help you stop. 

Like I said the other day, living an authentic life, and being real is better than living behind a wall of lies and deceit. You are only harming yourself more when you lie.

God is a God of healing. He can help you stop this bad habit if you will allow Him to. 

Father God, I pray that anyone reading this that struggles with lying will ask You for help. I hope that they see how damaging and harmful lying is to others, and themselves. I ask that when they lie, You touch their heart and remind them that is not how You want them to live. Help people live a real and authentic life. Let them trust You and know that You will take care of them. They do not need to lie for any reason. Thank You for what You are about to do in all our lives. In Jesus name, amen.

God bless you today and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment