Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Your Heart, Your Gut & The Holy Spirit

Proverbs 28:26, "He who trusts his own heart is a fool, But he who walks wisely will be delivered." (NAS)


My title sounds like a joke gone wrong, doesn't it? Your heart, your gut and the Holy Spirit walk into a bar... LOL

This section in Proverbs in the New American Standard Bible has this written before the chapter starts: "Proverbs concerning actions in relation to life". I found that very interesting.

Some people dismiss the Bible as old and not relevant. I beg to differ. There are so many Scriptures we can learn from. Today's is a great example.

Trusting our own hearts can get us in trouble, can't it? I mean, if you are like me, and you have a big heart, you tend to get hurt pretty regularly. I don't know why, but when someone is usually good to everyone else, they tend to think everyone will be good back to them.

That's just not the truth. And that's okay. It is what it is. But your heart can lead you in the wrong direction. Sometimes what it desires is not good for us.

Now, your gut.. that's another story. Most of the time, our guts are right. If you have a gut feeling that someone is lying to you, you are probably right. Or maybe you have had a gut feeling to not drive down a certain road..and find out later that an accident happened on that road. Your gut is like your inside alarm system. 

The Holy Spirit is something altogether different. The Holy Spirit is given to every believer who professes Jesus as their Lord and Savior. His job is to help us learn from the Bible, to lead us, and to speak on God's behalf. He will help us walk wisely.

He can speak to your heart concerning situations that your gut doesn't even know about. 

For example, back in September when my friend passed away I had a Holy Spirit experience. My friend passed during the early morning hours of a Sunday morning. Our Pastor went to be with the family in the middle of the night. Of course, he still came to church. During worship, I could tell he was struggling. I felt the Holy Spirit nudge me.. "Go hug your Pastor." I thought, "What? We are in the middle of worship. It would be weird for me to walk down there." I felt it again, "Go hug your Pastor." That time, I went. 

The Holy Spirit is who allows the Scriptures to "jump out at us" when we are reading the Bible. It is just another way He speaks to us.

God wants to guide your heart, your gut, and He wants to be the Holy Spirit for you. Are you letting Him? For some people, it's a very hard thing to do. We want to feel in control of our lives. But as a Christ follower, we need to let God have full control, because He has a plan for us and He knows what's best.

Will you allow Him into your life this way? I bet if you do, you won't be disappointed.

God bless you today and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment