Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Christmas Lights & The Church


This is an actual picture of my house. (Before I fixed those couple of strings of lights.) Yes, I am a single woman with three teenagers, but I wanted to put out lights, so I did. I love my inflatable Snoopy and Woodstock, and it would have looked weird on the front porch without anything else.

As I got the lights out of the bag and started plugging them up, I had some strands that didn't work. One was missing a bulb, so I got a new one and filled the slot. One had a loose bulb, but even when we checked them all, only part of the string is lit. It's weird because it's like, lighted, off, lighted, off on that string.

God spoke to my heart about these strings and how they are like the church.
You know that "the church" is not the building we go to, right?

WE are "the church". WE are the body, the hands and feet of Jesus.
1 Corinthians 12:27 says, "Now you are the body of Christ and individual members of it." 
Go back and read verses 20-26, because it's about how we are all needed.

Aren't we like these lights? When one someone is missing, say in volunteering at church, we plug someone else in to fill that slot. There are several reasons we might miss... and especially this time of year with sickness all around. 

If you aren't there to do something, someone else will pick it up for you. But we shouldn't do that often. We've all been given talents, gifts, and abilities to honor God with. Not using them for His glory is not cool.

Sometimes our Christian walks are like the other lights. On, then off, on, then off. That's not how God wants it to be . He wants us to be on all the time. By "ON", I mean, walking with Him, talking to Him, trusting Him, letting Him lead our lives, talking to others about Him, attending the church, volunteering at church, reading our Bible and devotionals, and shining His light everywhere we are. Revelations 3:15-17 talks about God not wanting us to be lukewarm. He wants us to be either hot or cold for Him. Which are you?

I am far from perfect, so I'm speaking to myself here as well. I am however, learning to go to God FIRST, before my best friends, and praying about situations. I am doing the best I can.

That's all God wants, our best, and for us to available. He doesn't call the qualified. He qualifies the called. What is He asking you to do?

Pray and ask Him. I'm sure He will speak to you and let you know.
If you'd like me to pray, please just ask.

God bless you today and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment