Friday, November 6, 2015

Discipline Can Suck!

Let's just be honest here. Discipline is not fun. No matter which side you are on. If you are getting the discipline, it can hurt. If you are giving discipline, that can hurt as well.

However, it's a part of life.

My best friend Barbara, who with her husband, own the Zumba studio I go to, wrote this Scripture on the board:

Hebrews 12:11, "No discipline is enjoyable while it's happening - it's painful! But afterward there will be a peaceful harvest of right living for those who are trained in this way."

Taking care of our bodies, because we are the temple of the Holy Spirit, is one thing we are called to to. It's important. I have not been doing this like I should. I will get on a good path, then just to stop and go back to my old ways.

Thankfully, the exercise portion of my routine has never stopped. I seriously love Zumba. 

God is our Heavenly Father, and while I do not believe He "punishes" us, I believe He will lovingly discipline us, just like we do our own children. (Or fur babies.) We all need correction from time to time. We need to get back on the right path and off the bad one.

Here's the thing... we also need to "train" for Godliness. This means disciplining ourselves to pray, read our Bible, and attend church. It takes making better choices just like with our eating and exercising.

In 1 Timothy 4:8 Paul said this, "The training of the body has a limited benefit but Godliness is beneficial in every way." 

He's not saying that training your body isn't important, he's saying that it's limited to the earth... being Godly will go on with us to heaven. It's eternal.

There is a balance we need to find. Figure out what works for you. Spend time with God when it's best for you and exercise when it's best for you. 

I have also mentioned before that maybe our personality types have a little to do with how we exercise, for example, my other best friend goes to the gym alone. I would HATE that. I'd be bored to death. I enjoy Zumba, with a group. We laugh and have a good time.

Are you more alert at night before bed? Read your Bible then. 

There is no blue print for living like this. It does take discipline though. On your part. 

God wants you to spend time with Him. And He wants us to take care of these earthly vessels while we are in them. 

There are rewards for both. I started using My Fitness Pal on my phone. I have been logging in my food and all for a couple of days, but we don't have Zumba on Wednesday. So, last night, after an hour of Zumba class, then 30 minutes of Zumba small group, I took a screen shot of what my day looked like.


Am I going to do that good every day? NO! And I'm not planning on placing that expectation on myself either. But yesterday was a great day!

Do I pray and read my Bible every day? NO! But I don't let missing become a habit. I might only miss one day every month or so. Both of these disciplines are important for me. I need to eat right and exercise, as well as pray and read my Bible.

So, figure out what works for you. Ask God for help. He will be glad to guide you. If you would like me to pray for you to establish these disciplines, I'd be happy to!

God bless you today and always.


No comments:

Post a Comment