Sunday, November 8, 2015

That's just TOO close for comfort!

These are my "back up glasses". I wear contacts but keep them for when I want to rest my eyes at night. They are old. See those two lines on the lens? Those are cuts in the glass. They sit right where my eye does. Right where I look out.

I can see through them if I'm not focused on two cuts.

This morning, these two cuts reminded me of something.

Sometimes things are so close to us that we can't actually see them. Other times, we are too focused on the wrong things instead of looking through them.

I will give you an example:

I have had times in my life when my best friends tell me things about myself that I couldn't even see. Like when I'm being needy or clingy. It hurts to hear the truth, but it is needed in order for me to make changes. It was just too close for me to recognize.

There have been times too, when I focused on the negative only seeing it instead of the positive or good in a situation. Now, I must admit, this is rare. I"m a very positive person by nature. I normally look for the good in people and circumstances. However, there are times in my life that I let the negative take me down a dark path.

I believe there needs to be a balance with all of this.

It's important to recognize things for what they are, while at the same time not focusing on the negative too much.

God puts the right people in our lives at the right time. They have a purpose for being there. I live my life authentically. I want to be real and honest about everything in order to help others be real and honest about their lives. Putting on masks and being fake get you no where in my opinion.

In Scripture, there are so many examples of how we are to live. My best friend Barbara said this the other day and it's so true, "People should know that there is action, adventure and even sex in the Bible." She's right. The Bible isn't just a book of rules. Or a book about the "chosen people". It's a book for us to apply to our lives.

Proverbs 27:19, "A face is reflected in water: so the heart reflects the real person.

Proverbs 22:4, "True humility- fear of the Lord leads to riches, honor and a long life."

Proverbs 27:9, "The heartfelt counsel of a friend is as sweet as perfume and incense."

Proverbs 27: 17, "As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend."

Proverbs 15: 4, "A gentle answer deflects anger, but harsh words make tempers flare."

Ephesians 4: 15 talks about speaking the truth in love. The truth always needs to be spoken, but it needs to be in love. 

Are you struggling with something right now? Do you need prayer to stop focusing on the stuff that's too close? I'd be happy to pray for you.

God bless you today and always.


No comments:

Post a Comment