Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Who Completes You?

In the famous movie "Jerry Maguire" there is a scene where Jerry aka Tom Cruise, tells Dorothy aka Renee Zellweger with hand gestures, "You complete me." Dorothy had been his administrative assistant who already had a crush on her boss. Through a chain of events, he realized he cared for her, and they ended up at that scene with those now famous words, to which she replied, "You had me at hello."

We human beings make this mistake ALL the time.

We think we need a relationship with someone from the opposite sex to fulfill us. We believe if we just felt loved, we'd be happy...and that love has to be from a human of the opposite gender.

How wrong we are!

The person who completes us should be and is God Himself. He created us with a desire for Him. 

What we do, though, is try to fill that area with everything BUT God!

We turn to other humans, alcohol, drugs, food, shopping, sex, exercise, and a number of other things to try to make ourselves feel complete.

Some of those things aren't bad in and of themselves... but anything, even if it's "good for you" in excess is wrong. We need food to eat, but when you overeat, you gain weight and mess with your health. You understand where I'm coming from.

My point is this... God wants us to allow HIM to complete us. 

God knew us from the very beginning:

Psalm 139: 13-16 says, "For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. 14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are full well. I know that full well. 15. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth 16 your eyes saw my unformed body. All the day ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be."

When we give into anything that isn't God and try to get it to complete us, we are in danger of letting worldly things in.

Mark 8:36 says, "What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?"

Maybe you realize that you are doing this right now. I know, personally, I have tried to make other things fulfill me. I admit to it. I turned from God several times in my life hoping something else would make me feel whole.

The great thing about God is that you always get another chance. He is always there, just waiting for you to come back to Him.

2 Corinthians 3: 17 says, "Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom."

We can have full freedom from these things we've allowed to move into our heart. Anything that you put first, before God will lead you astray. It always does.

God is faithful. He wants you to come back. He loves you so very much. 

The last few sentences in my Jesus Calling devotional today hit home:

"I know you intimately - far better than you know yourself. In union with Me, you are complete. In closeness to Me, you are transformed more and more into the one I designed you to be."

I don't know about you...but I want to be who God designed me to be. I want to be fully complete in Him. And when He blesses me with a relationship, I won't let it distract me or pull me away from God. Expecting a human to complete us is too high of an expectation to place on someone anyway.

Knowing the truth that God completes me, gives me peace. How about you?

God bless you today and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment