Tuesday, September 15, 2015

What does it mean to be salt & light?

If you've been a Christian for any length of time, you've probably heard these terms..that we are to be salt and light to the world.

I understand the light part. Jesus said in John 8:12 that He is the light of the world and whoever walks with Him will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.

If we are light, basically, He is shining through us.

Sometimes, to me, salt makes things taste better. It is an addictive that gives flavor.

So if we are salt to the world, then maybe we are supposed to be giving it flavor by using our talents, skills, and abilities to show people God.

This also means something you might not be comfortable with sharing God to the world..... but, your relationship with God is not meant to be private.

When we become a Christians, we are adopted into God's family. He becomes our Father, and the body of Christ our brothers and sisters. We are family! (I've got all my sisters with me. Sorry.. that song just popped in my head.)

Spiritual gifts are given to each believer. We were also equipped with personality and talents before we were saved.

It's our job to use those to help other people come to know God as their Father too, and/or to help them strengthen their relationship with God.

I have always had the talent to write. In High School, I never struggled with research papers. While others were making a time line and dreading it, I was enjoying it. The words flow for me. I was saved, but not living for God at all during those years.

I believe this talent is now being used to honor and glorify God because that's what He had planned all along. The Holy Spirit leads me and inspires me on what to write each day.

As a Spiritual gift, I believe God has been developing intercessory prayer in me for some time now. I honestly love praying for other people. 

In order to help others, I need to be shining my light and being salt so others can taste and see that the Lord is good. I need to tell my story, or write this blog when something inspires me to share His good news and love.

That's what being salt and light is. We shouldn't use our relationship with God to judge others. We also shouldn't point fingers and remind people of the splinter in their eyes when we have a huge plank in our own.

We are saved by grace, not by works. It's nothing we did.

Therefore, we need to help others hear the truth and decide for themselves.

Are you being salt and light?

Why or why not? What are you doing with the talents and spiritual gifts you've been given? I'd love to hear about it.

God bless you today and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment