Thursday, September 3, 2015

What I Learned About Prayer

God knew just what He was doing when He had my work plan this Infinity Prayer Conference. I think this changed my life forever. I learned more about prayer than I ever have before. I understand it better. I get it! (The movie War Room helped me too.)

I pray that my words will help you get it too.

First of all, prayer is about getting God's will done on earth.


Second, when God makes a promise, He keeps it!

The greatest motivation to pray, is answered prayer! Sometimes, He answers, "Yes", sometimes "No", and still others, "Not right now." We need to pray, then trust that He will do what is best for us.

Now, the main thing is this.... we need to pray for God to be glorified. Period. In everything.

Our default prayer should be for God to be glorified if we don't know what else to pray.

God is good, so everything He does is good. (Even the "No" answers to prayers.)

Pray the Scriptures. Take God's Word, God's promises, and place them in your prayers.

Here is an example: I am reading through Proverbs, as I told you I was, and yesterday, this Scripture jumped out at me. I decided to make it my "Dating Proclamation"

Proverbs 2: 12-15 in prayer, Father, please give me wisdom because it will save me from the ways of wicked men, from men whose words are perverse, who leave the straight paths to walk in dark ways, who delight in doing wrong and rejoice in the perverseness of evil, and who are devious in their ways. Thank you for giving me wisdom. In Jesus name, amen."

If prayer is frustrating for you, try this...praying the Word like that, you can also write them down, in a notebook like I do. It helps me stay focused. If you still get distracted, have a piece of paper and write whatever distracted you down, then go back to your prayer.

You also might want to pray out loud. Keep a piece of paper then too, if needed for distracting thoughts.

Prayer without the Bible produces emotions. You get mystical. Scripture keeps you grounded in God.

Don't try to make deals with God. "God if you will answer this prayer, I will ________." 

Don't go to God as if you have something He needs. Go to God with thanksgiving! Because everything we have and need came from Him.

Try to not "Reactive" pray. Do some proactive prayer. For example, one thing I am going to start now is praying against divorce in my children's lives. They aren't even old enough to get married yet, but I want to break that and protect them from it. Instead of waiting until they are married and having problems.

Remember this: Prayer is getting in on what God is doing... and HE gets the glory!

Pray with faith, trusting that God's will and being obedient to whatever He tells you. Faith responds to God, faithlessness is fear that produces disobedience.

Without faith, it's impossible to please God. A life that pleases God walks by faith. With strong faith, you don't panic thinking that God won't take care of you.

Last, but not least... if you pray for something for a long time.. BE CAREFUL that it doesn't become an idol to you. And if something is contrary to Scripture, God didn't say it. He will never give direction that goes against His Word.

Give God a reason to answer your prayer! Pray for Him to be glorified!

No comments:

Post a Comment