Friday, September 4, 2015

How Is Your Heart?

Do you know how important your heart is?

I mean, physically, we know that our hearts are what keeps us alive. It pumps the blood through our body in just the right way, at just the right time.

Some good friends of mine have a son who is now 15 years old. He was born on December 23rd. I was excited about that date because my Grand-daddy passed away on that date in 1992, now I had a good memory to add to it. I remember knowing she was in labor. I believe I called to see how things were and her husband sounded upset. I asked what was wrong and he said that something was wrong with Jarrett's heart. They had to take him to Atlanta to a hospital. The chain of events that lead to that discovery were nothing short of a miracle. Jarrett's heart was pumping his blood the wrong way. It is not something they usually realize quickly. Normally, it's a few days and the baby turns purple. But the doctor who caught it, who just HAPPENED to be in our town on that night realized it somehow. God was watching over that family, for sure!

We also have our other "heart", the one that is part of our soul. To mean, it means the core of who I am. I say that my kids are three pieces of my heart with arms and legs. I love people. I believe my "heart" is big and caring. (Which is also how it gets hurt easily.)

Proverbs 3:5&6 tell us to "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight."

This is not a "get out of trouble" free verse. But this is a "trust God and He will not steer you wrong" verse. 

You see, God has a plan for your life. It is not a plan to harm you. It is a plan to give you hope and a future. (Jeremiah 29:11) 

Trusting God with your whole heart means that you always have His promises, His presence, and His unconditional love. 

Now, in Proverbs 4, we are warned in verse 23, "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the well spring of life."

Guard your heart from the bad people. Guard your heart from bad things like pride, arrogance, meanness, hate, greed, and jealousy. Those things and many more I didn't list, will damage your heart.

Jesus said in Luke 6:45, "A good man brings good things stored up out of the good in his heart. A bad man brings evil things stored up out of the evil in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of."

That's why we need to guard or heart. Whatever is in it comes out. As Christians, we need to share God's love, mercy and grace with people. We need to trust Him, protect our heart from harm, and always watch what's in it because it will come out.

How is your heart?  Do you trust God with it? 
Are you guarding it from the bad stuff? 

Do you need prayer for your heart? I will be glad to pray for you, just ask me.

No comments:

Post a Comment