Thursday, September 10, 2015

3 Things That Get In Our Way of Trusting God

So, this is Mrs. Laurel's message from church last night. When she said the title, I thought, "Ok, God, I hear you!" I'm not kidding, He is trying to tell me how I need to trust Him. Maybe He's telling you the same thing. I hope this helps you, because it really helped me.

Once again, Proverbs 3: 5 & 6 were mentioned! It says, "Trust in the Lord with all of your heart, lean not on your own understanding, in all of your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight."

I just want to clarify something here. This isn't a name it and claim it thing. It's not "trust God and your life will be perfect." That's just not how life works. 

It is a "trust God and He will help you in life" thing though.

Here are the 3 things we do that make us stop trusting God:

1.Shining Your Own Light: Isaiah 50: 10 & 11 is talking about how the Jewish people were living. In verse 10, they were trusting God and His light. In verse 11, they decided to use their own light. 

If you don't read anything else I write, please read this: 
"Things inside us die when we don't keep God first."

Yes, that's first, before your spouse, before your children, before your work, even before yourself. God is first. We discussed how our own light can be many things. Maybe it's that you trust your abilities, or skills. Maybe it's that you trust other people more than God. We tend to shine our own light instead of following His.

2. Building Fake Walls: Ezekiel 13 the religious leaders had been whitewashing the wall instead of actually repairing it. In verse 10, God mentions that they've been telling people there was peace, but in reality there was not. So they built up fake walls instead of trusting God.

We do the same. We box ourselves in with stuff thinking we are protecting ourselves, when in reality, that's God's job. We don't take risk. We fear things. God stretches us. Change comes so we will trust Him and grow in our lives.

I am not taking the risk on putting my book together. It's like I am blocked again. I told someone yesterday, "Like the world needs ANOTHER devotional book." I'm not trusting God. I'm also not being obedient and doing what I think He's told me to do. 

3. Broken Water Pots: In Jeremiah 2:13, the people were relying on broken water pots to try to hold water. God told them that He is the living water. We do this, even in 2015. Our broken water pots include how we look, achievements, relationships with other people, thinking we need to pray more, thinking we need to memorize more Scripture... anything that we put our trust in that's not God is a broken water pot.

Faith teaches us that we don't just try harder.

We should change my letting the Holy Spirit take over our lives. Our answer is Jesus.
God says for us to trust Him, and then He shows us how to.

When we give our lives to God, we are a new creation. God does our fighting for us. He fulfills us.

Read your Bible, not as a rule to follow but as a love letter to you.

I love how Mrs. Laurel said this, "God is saying, "Come follow ME, you will get living water, then it can splash onto others."

Also, "Trusting God is practical, but we can begin to follow ourselves if we aren't careful. Sit at the feet of Jesus."

Which one of these areas to you relate to?

In all honestly, I have experienced all three in my life. Especially the part where I tried to let a man fulfill me. NO human being can fulfill us like God can. Plus, that's a lot of pressure to put on someone. They can't be your everything. God needs that position in your heart.

If you would like me to pray about one of these for you, please let me know. I will be glad to.

No comments:

Post a Comment