Saturday, January 3, 2015

Accountability - the what, why and how of it

I am someone who is always interesting in learning more. "Leaders are learners" after all. I enjoy improving myself and trying to be the best I can be. In my devotional book one day it says how God wants us to come to Him with a teachable spirit, eager to be changed.

I am a part of some amazing groups on line. 

I tend to start things and not finish them. It's just what I do. I want to change this.

Accountability is how I will do it!

What: Accountability is simply asking someone to check on you. It is realizing that you might not continue on your own, so you need another human being to help.

Why: Since I tend to give up too quickly, having someone hold me accountable is very helpful. I don't want to let that person down. I want to be able to tell them I finished the project, or drank enough water, or read enough in a book. Maybe that's borderline "approval issues"... I'm not sure. But it helps me.

How: Step outside of your comfort zone and ask for help! If someone you know has the same goal as you, why not check on each other daily through email, private message on Facebook, text or phone call?

Thinking back to Bible times, God provided Aaron to help Moses. Noah had his family. Eventually, when Jesus came to the earth, He created his "helpers" if you will, with the disciples. Jesus' disciples weren't here to technically hold Him accountable, because they were learning as well... but if you traveled around with 12 guys, you can bet they would call Him out if He did something they thought was wrong.

One of the things I want to do in the next 10 days is de-clutter my house. I do not like letting things pile up, but I do it anyway. I have a cousin and a best friend who live like I want to.Their houses are always clean and they live with minimal stuff. I want to do that too. So, I've enlisted them to help  hold me accountable. I have a list of what to work on each day next week. My cousin lives out of state, but I can send her picture texts for proof that I'm doing what I say I will. This will help me stay on task.

If you've never asked for help... I highly recommend it. Especially when the person is really good at what you are struggling with.
This is my list.
I found this mouse pad, unopened in my room. I decided to use it. I have written down what I need to do each day. It stays right in front of me, so I will remember. If something like this would help you, do it! 

If I can help you in any way, contact me! I will be glad to!

No comments:

Post a Comment