Friday, July 4, 2014

Independence Day

Today is the 4th of July here in the United States. (I will continue with Moment Maker Part 4 tomorrow.)

Independence is defined as "freedom from control, influence, or support from others."

The United States was founded on this independence. Our founders were getting away from England and other countries who had kings and wanted to start a new type of government. 

July 4th, 1776 is the date we celebrate that freedom and independence. 

Part of why these people founded the United States was based on religious freedom. They wanted to be able to practice whatever they wanted without the government's involvement. I am thankful they did that for us. There are other countries where people are killed if they mention God or Jesus. We worship freely here. We have a lot of churches and we are welcome to read our Bibles whenever we want.

However, as Christians, we do not need to be independent. We actually need to be dependent. We need God to control, influence and support us. He knows what is best for us anyway, right? 

I have come to realize that I struggled with codependency. I relied on other people to make me happy or hold my hand and walk through things. God healed me of that the other day. It is an amazing feeling to be free from! Really, do you know what it was deep down? 

FEAR!

Yep, I was afraid of being alone... afraid of hurting someone (which I have done anyway)... afraid of someone not approving of me... afraid that I'm not good enough, etc.

Not anymore.

I celebrate my freedom from that today! And my DEPENDENCE on God and God alone!

Happy Independence Day to my US friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment