Friday, June 6, 2014

What would you do?

There is a TV show on now that puts people in awkward situations to see what they would do. There are actors who do things and get real reactions. 

I have a friend named Derrick. We met online over 10 years ago. He was a teenager who volunteered on a website that I was an administrator on. He dated girls. He even asked a girl to marry him once. Then, he realized he was gay but kept it to himself for a long time. Last year, he made a You Tube video and posted it on Facebook to tell his story. He loves the Lord, and is gay. I love Derrick. He is a great person. Period.

I was moved to tears by the comments on his video. People that he has met and knows personally said, "I am removing you from my friends because I do not believe this is right and do not want my children to see this." 

Derrick is not a pedophile. He does not post nasty pictures of naked men. He does not even post pictures of him and his boyfriend in intimate settings. Here they are: 

It took a long time for Derrick to even post about his relationship, much less put up pictures. (He is the guy on the right with the blue shirt, by the way.)

He posted this video (the link is below) from the TV show and it really got me thinking... what would I do? I don't think I'd want to see him and his boyfriend making out in the restaurant. Honestly, I do not think I'd want to see a guy and girl making out either, though. 

I think we are supposed to love people right where they are. I am a sinner saved by grace just like everyone else. I can not judge Derrick or any other person who is gay. I can allow who I want to in my life. I have an old high school male friend who is gay, but he was posting really nasty stuff on Facebook and I had to remove him. I do not hate him though. We aren't as close as Derrick and I are. And even if we were close, I doubt he would stop posting stuff just because I asked him to. 

Anyway... please watch this video and feel free to comment!


No comments:

Post a Comment