Thursday, May 15, 2014

Was Jesus a push over?

Last night, my Pastor taught us a lesson I had NEVER heard. It actually blew my mind and I can not help but share it.

Some of you might know the Scripture Matthew 5: 38-4, "38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles."

This was Jesus teaching on this subject. Normally, I think we believe He wants us to be push overs and let people control us. Actually, He was teaching the total opposite. 

One thing I enjoy about my Pastor is that he shows us visually and he teaching historically. This really helps me understand the Scripture better. 

During this part of history that Jesus was alive, a person would not slap someone with their left hand. That is the hand they used for restroom activities. So, if you are going to slap someone on their right cheek, you must use the back of your right hand. This action shows dominance and that you are more important than them. Jesus said to turn the other cheek, because if you did, and if they slapped you with the palm of their hand, it meant that you were now equal with them. How about that?

Also, if someone wanted to sue a person for their shirt, and you gave over your coat as well, it shows that the person suing has no control over them. They are giving more than asked for.

Lastly, the Roman soldiers enjoyed bothering the Jewish people. They would make them carry things, like their lunch, or whatever. They would force the Jews to walk a mile, then let them go. Rome only allowed the mile. If a Jewish person walked further, the soldier could get in trouble. Jesus said, walk two miles.... this would be another way to show a soldier that he wasn't controlling them. They could walk further, and possibly get the soldier in trouble. 

Being a Christian does not mean we are supposed to be door mats and say YES to everything. We need boundaries. We are called to be loving and do for others, but there is a time and place for everything. 

I sure hope this helps someone today. I know it helped me a ton!


No comments:

Post a Comment