Saturday, February 1, 2014

Don't Bring Me Down!

In 1979, I was five years old. Back then, we did not have car seats and seat belts were not required by law to wear. 
(I know, how did we make it out alive, right? LOL)

This song, "Don't Bring Me Down" by Electric Light Orchestra was a hit. I used to stand up in my mom's truck, and every time the song said, "Don't bring me down." I would slide down in the seat. It was so much fun.

Today, I started thinking about people who put other people down. I have had someone in my life who spoke to me as if I were a child, instead of the adult that I am. It is very demeaning and hurtful.

Why do some people think it's ok to talk down to folks? Guess who they are talking down to, someone who is supposed to mean a lot to them. A family member, their best friend, a spouse... I mean, those are the people we should love and cherish. Right?

It seems to me that the person who willing puts down another person has issues of their own. Maybe they do not like themselves. There has to be a reason for being mean and hurtful. Maybe they do not know how much God loves them. Maybe they have bitterness in their heart from a past hurt and it is just oozing out into their relationships.

I think we should pray for people who hurt us. I know that's hard to do, but they have to be missing something. They are probably miserable and just want company. Which is crazy to me. I love my family and friends. The last thing I want is for them to be miserable!

When someone is mean to you, I say kill 'em with kindness. Try everything you can to not show them how hurt you are at first. However, you should stand up for yourself. Most importantly, FORGIVE them!

The Bible talks a lot about forgiveness. Peter even asked Jesus how many times are we supposed to forgive someone who hurts us. In Matthew 18 it says in 21 & 22": 21 Then Peter came to him and asked, “Lord, how often should I forgive someone who sins against me? Seven times?” 22 “No, not seven times,” Jesus replied, “but seventy times seven!"

Do your best to not bring people down. Forgive the people who put you down. But do not continue to allow it for long. You deserve to be treated well, with kindness and respect. No one should be a door mat. Being a Christian does not mean we are to be door mats and just allow all kinds of stuff to happen to us. That's why there are boundaries. Protect yourself, but always forgive.
 You will make yourself miserable if you harbor hate. 



No comments:

Post a Comment