Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Humility = Low Self Esteem?

Keeping with the Romans 12 message series, our Youth Pastor brought the message this past Sunday. He hit on a subject that I personally have struggled with most of my life.

Romans 12: 3 says this, "For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you."

Ok, so we aren't supposed to "think of ourselves more highly", which is pride. I think most people understand that part.

We are supposed to be humble. But sometimes we confuse what humility is.

Josh said, "Avoid false humility - it has nothing to do with being aware of your mistakes- we do not have to have a low self esteem."

This really hit me because I have had a low self esteem most of my life. I based my opinion on myself from lies that I believed. Lies that were either spoke over me or to myself.


Here is a HUGE statement Josh said, write this down, "You CAN NOT put yourself down and think God is being glorified!"

I'm currently 40 years old, and I can honestly whole heartedly say, I like me. I do not struggle with thinking I'm fat. I do not struggle with being a stay at home mom who chose that over a career. I do not struggle with the fact that I've been to college twice and didn't get my degree. 

Several of my choices are based on my children's needs. If that makes me bad, then so be it. Acknowledging your strengths and weakness' is humility. It's knowing who you are.

We are all different. We were gifted differently and put here to do different things. Josh said that statement of "You can do anything you set your mind to." really isn't true. You can do anything you are GIFTED for. 

Therefore, when you try to do something you aren't gifted for, it does not work out. Which then, leads to us putting ourselves down. Do you see the cycle here?

Find your true value in the God who made you. Ephesians 2:10 says this, "10 For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago."


No comments:

Post a Comment