Monday, January 27, 2014

Walk a Mile in My Shoes? (Personal post)

It has been almost a year since my now ex husband left me and our kids. I have been amazed at how fast time goes by and how much change can happen in a year. 

Some people in my life seem to struggle with the changes that have taken place in me. 

I can not help what I have gone through. One thing is for sure, I am not the same woman he left.

I was starting to come out of religion and legalism through the things I learn at church. But, what really pulled me full force out of it was my divorce. I am enjoying life more now.

For example: there are some songs that I would never listen to before that I really like now. The lyrics might not be talking about the best thing in the world, but the beat is good to me. Instead of being legalistic and not listening, I listen but do not let it get in my heart. (By the way, I still have few artists that I just full on refuse to listen to.) 

There are a few movies I have watched that I would not have watched before. (I have different reasons on movies.) Psalm 101:3 says this, "I will not look with approval on anything that is vile. I hate what faithless people do. I will have no part in it." Who determines what is vile and who is faithless? That's not my place!

As a Christian, I am not supposed to look or listen to things that are bad. Right? Well, who decides what is bad or good? There is no list in the Bible.

There are some Pastors who will throw a Super Bowl party at the church, others will tell you they are watching it that night too, but then others will tell you they are praying for your TV to blow up if you stay home to watch it. So, you can not rely on your Pastor to tell you what is right for you! I believe, every individual has to determine what is right for themselves. 

People judge. I USED to judge!! I do not do that any more. You never know what someone is walking through... and if you have not lived through what they are dealing with, you have NO IDEA how you would handle it. 

God looks at our hearts. (1 Samuel 16:7) He does not look at our actions. You can do something with the wrong motives and humans wouldn't have a clue, but God knows. How about come along side someone you know is going through a rough time, instead of judging them? You could help instead of hurt them more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment