Thursday, November 7, 2013

Oceans

There is just something about the ocean that amazes me. It's such a huge body of water covering the earth, and it's so powerful.


It's salt water, which is unusual. It houses millions of living creatures and odd animals. The waves can sweep you off your feet and under if you aren't careful. But those waves can also be comforting, just the constant sound of them hitting the sandy beach is calming to me.

Then, you've got the huge waves and storms that can happen way out in the water. Have you seen any movies, or actual pictures of ships in huge waves? Where the boat looks like it's about to be just swallowed whole by a wave?

That's the part that scares me. Not to mention, I get motion sickness, so I'm not fond of being out in big huge waves.

Hillsong United has a new song out called Oceans. I love it! I started thinking of Peter's experience on the water with Jesus that night. I believe the song is based on that too.


Matthew 14: 27-29 "But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.” 28 “Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.” 29 “Come,” he said. Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus."

The lyrics say, "You called me out upon the water, the great unknown, where feet may fail. And there I find You in the mystery, In oceans deep, my faith will stand." 

The chorus is my favorite: "And I will call upon Your name, and keep my eyes above the waves, when oceans rise, my soul will rest in Your embrace for I am Your's, and You are mine."

When you are going through a difficult time, it's easy to look at how big the waves are. How huge the problem is. Stop that. 

Step out of the boat, trust God. Keep your eyes on Him and you will not drown in the water!  (Finish reading the story in Matthew of what happened with Peter if you don 't already know it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment