Tuesday, September 3, 2013

The power of your words

I'm pretty sure I've talked about this before, but I had a situation last night that really hurt me. I got an email from someone telling me how I had not be an effective leader and it really really hurt. I want to always be an effective leader in everything I do. So to hear that I had failed someone made me feel pretty bad.

The thing is, while constructive criticism can be a good thing, it's tough to hear when you aren't expecting it. 

Words are so important. Even ones typed. ESPECIALLY one's typed. With the typed word, you can not hear the person's emotion, you can not see their facial expression, nor can you read their body language. It's easy to get hurt with the typed word.

It's also easy to lift people up with your words.

Proverbs 12: 18 says, "The words of the reckless pierce like swords,
    but the tongue of the wise brings healing."

Proverbs 15: 4 says, "The soothing tongue is a tree of life,
    but a perverse tongue crushes the spirit."

These are just a couple of examples of Solomon's wisdom on our tongues. 

So, if someone around you isn't watching their tongue, you need to guard your heart. 


"Be on guard, so that your hearts will not be weighted down." ~ Luke 21:34

Watch your heart and tongue today!


No comments:

Post a Comment