Friday, September 27, 2013

Parenting isn't for cowards!

After 15 years of being a co-parent in a marriage, I now find myself a single mom to my three kids. I thought I'd have help, but I don't. This has been difficult to put it lightly.

Parenting does not come with a manual. You don't give birth and the doctor put your baby in one arm and a book in the other on how to raise them. (I wish they did, right?)

So, it's a learning experience. As babies, they cry, we try to figure out why. Dirty diaper, hungry, sleeping, teething, etc. The older they get, you try to keep them out of harm's way, help them walk, teach them to talk, etc. 

Then, the teenage years hit and LOOK OUT! Life changes dramatically. Suddenly, you, the parent aren't very smart. Because somehow, even though they have not lived as long as you, they know everything.

Well, I can tell you one thing... love should still be unconditional. Kids of all ages, (yes, even adults) need to know they are loved. Loved by their parents and their Creator. God's love never changes, it never fails and it never gives up on us.

After love, they need food, shelter, and guidance. These are just basic, and all people should know it, but unfortunately, a lot of parents don't. Some parents are so wrapped up in themselves they put their kids on the back burner and just let someone else do it.

We need to teach our kids that God loves them, and help them grow in their relationship with Him. He has a plan for their life even better than what we might have.

Jeremiah 29: 11 says this, "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

There are many Scriptures on parenting, but I'm not going to add them now. If you are a parent, pray for your child(ren) daily, teach them God's love for them, and do your best. God will help with the rest!






No comments:

Post a Comment