Tuesday, July 9, 2013

What kind of friend are you?

Our Youth Pastor taught this past Sunday about friendship. Do you remember that theme song from The Golden Girls TV show? "Thank you for being a friend, traveled down the road and back again, your heart is true, you're a pal and a confidant."
 
Isn't that what true friendship is all about? Being there for someone?
 
I mean, we've got hundreds of friends on Facebook and many who follow us on Twitter. But how many of them can you call in the middle of the night for help and KNOW they will be there? Some friendships are surface level and some are just convenient.
True, real friends are the genuine ones.
 
Mark Driscoll, a Pastor I enjoy learning from said this,
 "A friend is a trustworthy peer with who we mutually choose to live with by seeking unique access to serve and love."
(Thanks to my friend Miles for writing that down Sunday.)
 
Proverbs is FULL of friendship Scriptures... take a minute and search for them.
 
The bottom line is this: even Jesus knew how to be a friend and who to confide in. There were about 70 people following Him at times. But He only poured into the 12 disciples to help them grow and learn. Then, He was closer to 3 of that 12. Peter, James and John.
 He chose them to really get to know and to really let them into His life.
 (They were with Him at the transfiguration on the mountain.)
 
I'm an only child. So, I can't say my siblings are my best friends.
God has always been good to me though, and allowed me to have girls, now women, in my life who are as close as sisters.
 
Life wasn't meant to live alone.
 
To have true friends, you have to be one.
Are you a true friend?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment