Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Psalm 91 vs Psalm 91

Friday was an adventure! We were headed to Atlanta for our high school state championship football game, we were almost there, when we found out the game had been cancelled. It snowed in Atlanta. Like for real legit snowed several inches. Georgia is not equipped for that, so the town pretty much shut down, and we couldn't risk being stuck up there.
SO... we headed home and made some stops along the way.
One of those stops was a used book store. We got there 10 minutes before they closed. I found the Bible section right away. There is a Bible I have been wanting for over a year, and I was hoping to find it, even used, it would have been cool. They didn't have it.
What I did find is pretty awesome.
It is a Jewish Bible. It's translated according to the traditional Hebrew text.
Of course, being the Jewish Bible, it's only the Old Testament. But, that's totally fine with me.
One of my favorite Scriptures, and one I read every day out loud is Psalm 91. I want to share the difference in the NLT and The Jewish Bible today.
NLT
Those who live in the shelter of the Most High
    will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
This I declare about the Lord:
He alone is my refuge, my place of safety;
    he is my God, and I trust him.
For he will rescue you from every trap
    and protect you from deadly disease.
He will cover you with his feathers.
    He will shelter you with his wings.
    His faithful promises are your armor and protection.
Do not be afraid of the terrors of the night,
    nor the arrow that flies in the day.
Do not dread the disease that stalks in darkness,
    nor the disaster that strikes at midday.
Though a thousand fall at your side,
    though ten thousand are dying around you,
    these evils will not touch you.
Just open your eyes,
    and see how the wicked are punished.
If you make the Lord your refuge,
    if you make the Most High your shelter,
10 no evil will conquer you;
    no plague will come near your home.
11 For he will order his angels
    to protect you wherever you go.
12 They will hold you up with their hands
    so you won’t even hurt your foot on a stone.
13 You will trample upon lions and cobras;
    you will crush fierce lions and serpents under your feet!
14 The Lord says, “I will rescue those who love me.
    I will protect those who trust in my name.
15 When they call on me, I will answer;
    I will be with them in trouble.
    I will rescue and honor them.
16 I will reward them with a long life
    and give them my salvation.”
NOW.. here is the Jewish Bible:
1 O you who dwell in the shelter of the Most High and abide in the protection of Shaddai -
2 I say of the LORD, my refuge and stronghold, my God in whom I trust,
3 that He will save you from the fowler's trap, from the destructive plague.
4 He will cover you with His pinions; you will find refuge under His wings; His fidelity is an encircling shield.
5  You need not fear the terror by night, or the arrow that flies by day,
6 the plague that stalks in the darkness, or the scourge that ravages at noon.
7 A thousand may fall at your left side, ten thousand at your right, but it shall not reach  you.
8 You will see it with your eyes, you will witness the punishment of the wicked.
9 Because you took the LORD - my refuge, the Most High- as your haven,
10 no harm will befall you, no disease touch your tent.
11 For He will order His angels to guard you wherever you go.
12 They will carry you in their hands lest you hurt your foot on a stone.
13 You will tread on cubs and vipers; you will trample lions and asps.
14 Because he is devoted to Me I will deliver him, I will keep him safe, for he knows My name,
15 When he calls on Me, I will answer him; I will be with him in distress; I will rescue him and make him honored;
16 I will let him live to a ripe old age; and show him My salvation.
How cool is this??? I love it!
Psalm 23 is different too. I might share it next.
God bless you today and always!

No comments:

Post a Comment