Friday, December 15, 2017

Psalm 23

Let me just tell you guys, I LOVE this Jewish Bible. I think it's probably closer to the original, since it is translated from Hebrew. It's so cool to me.
Most Christians know Psalm 23. We tend to use it in times of distress, in order to encourage ourselves. We see where King David was having a tough time, and we can relate.
I do not want to start a debate here, but I want to point something out. A lot of people will only read the King James Version, because they have been told it is closest to the original Hebrew. The problem is, we can't read Hebrew OR Greek and we are just taking someone else's word for it.
I don't care for the KJV because of the "thee's" and "thous". It's not easy to read. It is how they talked in the time period they translated the Bible. Therefore, I don't understand how it can be the best version.
Here is Psalm 23 in the KJV:
23 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.
NOW... Here is is in the Jewish Bible:
The LORD is my shepherd; I lack nothing.
2. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads to to water in places of repose;
3. He guides me in right paths as befits His name.
4. Though I walk through a valley of deepest darkness, I fear no harm, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff - they comfort me.
5. You spread a table for me in full view of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; my drink is abundant;
6. Only goodness and steadfast love shall pursue me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD for many long years.
My favorite part of this is "Only goodness and steadfast love shall PURSUE me all the days of my life."
God pursues us. He wants a relationship with us. He has put people in our paths to point us to Him. 
Pursue just means something different to me than "follow". What do you think?
Anyway, I think this is pretty awesome, and I am so excited to have the chance to share what I'm learning.
God bless you today and always!

No comments:

Post a Comment