Friday, November 10, 2017

Nothing New Under The Sun!

Habakkuk’s Complaint Habakkuk 1:2-4

How long, O Lord, must I call for help?
    But you do not listen!
“Violence is everywhere!” I cry,
    but you do not come to save.
Must I forever see these evil deeds?
    Why must I watch all this misery?
Wherever I look,
    I see destruction and violence.
I am surrounded by people
    who love to argue and fight.
The law has become paralyzed,
    and there is no justice in the courts.
The wicked far outnumber the righteous,
    so that justice has become perverted.

If you remember, I write Scripture from a lady's blog posts. Today's Scripture writing was Habakkuk 3: 17-19. I wrote it, and felt like God wanted me to read some of this book.
This is one of those books of the Bible that we forget about. I know it's not one I personally have studied or anything. However, these first few verses really jumped out at me.
Aren't we going through this same thing in 2017? Destruction, violence, people arguing and fighting, the law being paralyzed, no justice in the courts, the wicked seem to outnumber the righteous.
My Bible study teacher, Mr. Earnest often quotes Ecclesiastes 1:9, "History merely repeats itself. It has all been done before. Nothing under the sun is truly new."
SOOOO.... we look at our world and think "This is so awful." "The world is only getting worse." "Where is God in all of this?" 
Actually, it's history repeating itself. There is nothing new under the sun.
I will answer that last one for you. God is right here. In the midst of it all. He's watching us kill, fight with, and be mean to each other.
Now, let me show you God's answer to Habakkuk...
The Lord replied,
“Look around at the nations;
    look and be amazed![a]
For I am doing something in your own day,
    something you wouldn’t believe
    even if someone told you about it.
This particular time in history, before Jesus' death, burial, and resurrection, God was raising up the Babylonians against Israel. The only way God could get through to people was through judgement. God's Old Testament ways were different when Jesus came. At this time, this is how He was having to deal with disobedience and the like. 
I do not for a minute believe that God wants all of this violence to keep happening in the world.
One of the 10 Commandments tells us to NOT kill. So, I don't think God is endorsing killing.
I think it's time we ban together, ask God for help, and join forces. All races. ESPECIALLY ALL CHRISTIANS.  We are allowing the enemy to keep us separated. 
We can talk about what we think should happen until we are blue in the face, but the truth is, it's all talk. The government and whoever else will do what they will, regardless of what we say. By us fighting and being mean to each other over issues, they are winning and getting what they want:
A DIVIDED country!
Things have always been bad. There is nothing new under the sun. What I think is it is 2017 and we have the internet. We know things almost immediately after they happen. Heck, we can even watch things happen LIVE action through social media.
Where do we go from here?
I will tell you... we need to RUN back to God and ask for Him to unite us through these hard times.
Habakkuk wrote a song Chapter 3: 2
This prayer was sung by the prophet Habakkuk[a]:
I have heard all about you, Lord.
    I am filled with awe by your amazing works.
In this time of our deep need,
    help us again as you did in years gone by.
And in your anger,
    remember your mercy.
Will you join me in this prayer? Let's ask God to show us mercy again and help us in the time of deep need.
God bless you today and always!

No comments:

Post a Comment