Tuesday, July 4, 2017

True Freedom

"He gave His life to free us from every kind of sin, to cleanse us, and to make us His very own people, totally committed to doing good deeds." Titus 2:14


I don't know about you, but Titus is just not a book I have read a lot in the Bible. I have read some of it because I do have highlights marked, but it's just not a "go to" book, if you will.
This morning, though, I felt God leading me there to read. I wasn't sure why. I had one Scripture jump out at me for a friend, then this one jumped out at me.
You see, today in the United States, it's Independence Day. The day we celebrate our freedom from England. This country was founded because we wanted to break free from things there and have more freedom than the English government was allowing.
Every day for a Christian should be similar, but opposite. We could call it "Dependence Day". Jesus came to set us free from EVERY kind of sin. Once we've accepted that gift of freedom, living each day dependent on God, is the right way to go.
Neither of these freedoms were free. Men and women of the United States military have suffered and or died for this freedom we enjoy. Others come home as veterans and struggle daily just to live a normal life. I even have a friend who just asked for prayer for one of her former platoon mates who is homeless and living in her car. This woman SERVED our country. How can we let them come back to nothing?
Jesus died on the cross so we could be free from sin and have eternal life. If you've ever read in the Gospels how He died, or watched the movie The Passion of the Christ, you see how awful it was. He was unrecognizable because of the beatings and at one point, I believe He took all of our diseases on as well.
Another few verses in Titus Chapter 2: 11-13 say, "11 For the grace of God has been revealed, bringing salvation to ALL people. 12 And we are instructed to turn from godless living and sinful pleasures. We should live in this evil world with wisdom, righteousness, and devotion to God, 13 while we look forward with hope to that wonderful day when the glory of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, will be revealed."
I don't know about you, but this just makes me happy. I am so thankful for the freedom I have as an American and a Christian! 
Jesus said this too, in John Chapter 8, 34-36, "Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave of sin. 35 A slave is not a permanent member of the family, but a son is part of the family forever. 36 So if the Son sets you free, you are truly free."
Are you truly free? Have you let the gift of what Jesus did on the cross for us set you free?
If not, please do. It is a FREE gift. He loves you very much and wants a relationship with you. I'm always available if you have questions.
God bless you today and always!

No comments:

Post a Comment