Sunday, July 16, 2017

Living In The Light

"Imitate God, therefore, in everything you do, because you are His dear children." Ephesians 5:1

Yesterday morning, my Scripture writing was Ephesians 5:1-6. I'm sure I've read this before, but I love how God shows me things right when I need it. Does He do that for you too?
Paul wrote this letter to the new Christians in Ephesus. Ephesus was an ancient Greek city on the coast of Ionia, three kilometres southwest of present-day Selçuk in İzmir Province, Turkey.
Bibleplaces.com says, "In the ancient world, Ephesus was a center of travel and commerce.  Situated on the Aegean Sea at the mouth of the Cayster River, the city was one of the greatest seaports of the ancient world."
Ephesus was an important part of spreading the Gospel to the world. So, Paul was reminding the Ephesians how God wanted them to live, so they could be examples to teach others.
Ephesians 5:2 says, "Live a life filled with love, following the example of Christ. He loved us and offered Himself as a sacrifice for us, a pleasing aroma to God."
Hate and telling people how wrong they are will not lead them to the Lord. LOVE will. LOVE does.
Jesus got upset with the Pharisees because they were living by religion. He tried to show them the right way. He always loved. He spoke the truth to them in love, not hate.
I don't know about you, but my mouth has a tendency to get me in trouble. I say things sometimes without thinking. But I am working on it. The last thing I want to do is hurt people with my words.
Paul tells us in Ephesians 5:3 & 4, "Let there be no sexual immorality, impurity, or greed among you. Such sins have no place among God's people. Obscene stories, foolish talk, and coarse jokes - these are not for you. Instead, let there be thankfulness to God."
You see, when we live in the light, doing and saying what is pleasing to God, we help people see HIM.
God doesn't sin. He doesn't deal with the things listed in verses 3 and 4.
I hear you thinking, "But Jill, that's no fun. God is just a party pooper and doesn't want us to have fun."
That's not true at all. We can have fun without all that. I have had tons of fun, laughing and having a great time with no alcohol, no bad jokes or obscene stories.
We are NOT perfect. That's the truth. I know I'm not perfect by any means. But we are called to a higher standard. We should be showing people what living for God is really like.
LOVE, JOY, PEACE, PATIENCE, KINDNESS, GENTLENESS & SELF CONTROL
We know these as the fruit of the Spirit in Galatians 5. When we are living through these, people see Jesus. This way, maybe, just maybe, they will decided to give their lives to Him one day too.
Are you living in the light? Or are you still hiding in darkness?
Step into the light of His love! You'll be glad you did!
God bless you today and always!

No comments:

Post a Comment