Tuesday, May 23, 2017

God's Place

"Dear Children, keep away from anything that might take God's place in your heart." 1 John 5:21 NLT

I have this Scripture written on an index card sitting on the ledge of my roll top desk that I use as my prayer desk. I felt like we needed a reminder today about God's place in our hearts.
This world of Social Media that we live in is quick to tell us what we should and shouldn't do. It's super easy to compare yourself to others, which allows envy to set in. It's also just as easy to let something or someone take God's place in our hearts.

In the past, I've allowed someone in the wrong place in my heart. I still prayed, read my Bible, and went to church, but God was not always my first thought.
John is writing to the new Christians in this chapter. Verses 13-21 are his conclusion to that letter. I'm so glad I read this. I have written in my Bible the date 6-4-16 on verse 21 here. Then I have two dates written from this past March of 2017. I also have numerous high lights and pen underlines through this section of Scriptures.
This one sentence is HUGE! John is warning believers to not allow anything to take God's place. It's dangerous when we do.
Now, let me go even further with this... did you know that you can even work for the Lord, and let it take the place of Him in your heart?
Yes, you heard me.
You can put working for the Lord in the wrong place in your heart.
Let me tell you why... sometimes, people get stuck in a performanced based mentality. I mean, we get rewarded for good behavior starting as young as two when we are potty training, right?
Honestly, I struggled with this before myself. I used to think that God would love me more if I served Him a lot. 
I worked at a church from 2007-2010 and it wasn't until months after I was gone from there that I realized I was working thinking that God loved me more because I worked at a church.
NOT that He loved me more than YOU...but that He loved me more than He normally would.
The truth is, we can allow all sorts of stuff in the first place in our hearts, but we shouldn't.
That void is reserved for God and God alone. 
He still loves you though, if you've done this. Because the truth is, NOTHING you can do will make God love you any more... just like nothing you do will make Him love you any less either.
I hope this helps someone today.
God bless you today and always!

No comments:

Post a Comment