Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Listening To God

"My heart has heard you say, "Come and talk with me." And my heart responds, "LORD I am coming." Psalm 27:8
My Pastor's message Sunday was really good. It was about listening to God, which has been something I have been practicing.
I know that sounds weird, but we need to learn and listening. We are so busy talking sometimes, that we don't listen. 
Josh, my Pastor, said, "The primary way that God works in our lives is through partnership and participation."
His first Scripture reference was Exodus 14: 13-14, 
"13 But Moses told the people, “Don’t be afraid. Just stand still and watch the Lord rescue you today. The Egyptians you see today will never be seen again. 14 The Lord himself will fight for you. Just stay calm.”
How many times have we ALL prayed and wanted God to swoop down and make life better for us? I know I have! I will admit it.
Moses thought the same thing. Here he was with over a million people, trapped between mountain ranges, the Egyptians and the Red Sea. His only way out was for God to do something.... which He did, but read exactly what had to happen first:
Then in verses 15-16, "15 Then the Lord said to Moses, “Why are you crying out to me? Tell the people to get moving! 16 Pick up your staff and raise your hand over the sea. Divide the water so the Israelites can walk through the middle of the sea on dry ground."
What would have happened that day if Moses #1 hadn't of been listening to God, and #2, didn't do what he was told? We need to listen, and then follow through with what God told us to do.
SOOO...maybe you are wondering, "Ok Jill, so what does God sound like?" I'm glad you asked!
In 1 Kings Elijah was going through some rough times. God wanted to speak to him and teach him... so we see this in 1 Kings 19: 11-13,
"11 “Go out and stand before me on the mountain,” the Lord told him. And as Elijah stood there, the Lord passed by, and a mighty windstorm hit the mountain. It was such a terrible blast that the rocks were torn loose, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. 12 And after the earthquake there was a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire there was the sound of a gentle whisper. 13 When Elijah heard it, he wrapped his face in his cloak and went out and stood at the entrance of the cave."
That feeling you get in your gut, that nudge you feel, that whisper telling you to do something... THAT is God. 
Oh, and one thing that I have experienced in my life.. if 3 different people tell you the same thing, especially if they haven't spoken to each other, that's God speaking through them.
Now, maybe you are asking, 'How can I be sure that's God talking and not me?"
Here is a guide to go by:
  1. Is it Scriptural? God will NEVER tell you to do something that goes against His Word.
  2. Does it line up with God's character? If you don't remember what His character is like, look at Jesus. 
  3. What do the people you trust the most think about it? Proverbs talks about having wise counsel. We need Godly people in our lives that we can trust. We can say, "I feel like God is telling me to do this, what do you think?" That's so helpful.
Listening to God is very important for us. I mean, without listening, what type of relationship do you have? You know, if you do all of the talking, and the other person never speaks, it's one sided.
Not to mention the fact of, how do you expect Him to answer your prayers if you aren't listening? 
I hope this inspires you to listen more. If you already listen, I would love to hear how He speaks to you! Get in touch with me by email, posting on my blog, or through Facebook.
God bless you today and always!

No comments:

Post a Comment