Friday, December 2, 2016

Our Stinkin' Thinkin'

"For a child is born to us,
    a son is given to us.
The government will rest on his shoulders.
    And he will be called:
Wonderful Counselor,[a] Mighty God,
    Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
His government and its peace
    will never end.
He will rule with fairness and justice from the throne of his ancestor David
    for all eternity.
The passionate commitment of the Lord of Heaven’s Armies
    will make this happen!" Isaiah 9:6-7
If you are anything like me, sometimes your thoughts get in the way. I am writing Scripture again this month. I actually enjoy doing it, so I will probably continue. If you'd like to join me, the lady's blog I printed out the sheet from is here: http://www.swtblessings.com/ I do not know her, but I like this idea of writing Scripture. I think it will help me remember it.
Anyway... this was today's writing, Isaiah 9:6-7 and something dawned on me.
The people in Jesus' time allowed their own thoughts to confuse them. This Scripture does say "the government will rest on His shoulders" and "He will rule for all eternity." But their own interpretation caused them to think something was going to happen that God did not have planned.
God was not saying that Jesus would get here and other throw the Roman government. That's what people thought. I believe Judas even thought that. He wanted that. Maybe even Peter at some point.
Our thoughts get us into trouble. Especially if those thoughts aren't lined up with Scripture.
Another example of this is thoughts about ourselves. I am the worst with my own thoughts. I even wrote to someone on Facebook that I don't know last night, because they said, "I am my own worst enemy." We are called to love ourselves. If we can't love ourselves, how are we going to love others?
I'm serious when I say this is a struggle for me. Right now, at this very moment, I am fighting off negative thoughts about myself. I was exercising so much earlier this year, eating better, and drinking more water. I've stopped doing what works and I've gained weight back. I am fighting off the "I'm fat", "I can't be consistent in anything." "I am not a good example for my kids."
And don't get me started on my hair. Wednesday I covered my grey, with "reddish brown." Well, let's just say my hair already has a red tint to it, so now the top of my head ONLY is reddish pink. UGH! So, that stinkin' thinkin' kicks in telling me how dumb I am for doing that and how bad I look. I'm just being real here today.
That is NOT what God says about me!
God says I am His masterpiece created for good works. I am fearfully and wonderfully made. He has a purpose and plan for my life. (Which means He has a plan for my kids too.)
We tend to mess up our thoughts on God as well. We think He's some bully in the sky waiting to strike us down when we mess up. NOPE!
God is slow to anger and abounding in love!
I think God wants us to pray and read our Bible for ourselves so that we can come to know Him as He really is. Listening to how others see Him, hearing sermons about Him from your Pastor, and reading books are not bad things...but God wants to know us intimately. Personally.
Will you join me today in this? Will you stop thinking wrong thinks about God and yourself?
I will pray for you if you need me to. Just contact me.
God bless you today and always!

No comments:

Post a Comment