Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Clinging To God

"I cling to you; your strong right hand holds me securely." Psalm 63:8
Dictionary.com defines CLING as: "to adhere closely; to stick to; to hold tight as by grasping or embracing".

I was listening to KLOVE in the car yesterday and heard the song Refuge by Finding Favour. The chorus says, "My soul it sings to you, Oh God you are my refuge, I will cling, I will cling to you. My shelter through the storm, my peace when waves of trouble roll, I will cling, I will cling to you."
I don't know about you, but it seems like waves of trouble are rolling all over the earth in the last few weeks. There have been so many deaths, it's unreal!
Please don't judge me on this, but I'm about to be full on honest here. After my divorce, I was clingy. Especially to men. I was searching for validation and attention. Now, I recognize it and realize it, and am no longer doing that. So, this whole clinging to God thing makes me both uncomfortable, but at the same time, very comfortable. Let me explain....
God has been the one constant in my life over the last 19 or so years. I have had times where I was too legalistic, too judgmental, and I served Him for the wrong reasons.
THANK THE LORD, I learned from those mistakes.
Honestly, I started learning more and more when I started attending my church. Over this past 6 years, I've grown a lot in the Lord. My divorce helped me turn to God more and cling to Him. 
He has been here for me consistently. He has counted my tears, loved me when I felt unloved, and provided for my needs.
God is here for all of us during these terrible times. He wants us to cling to Him. 
Deuteronomy 13:4 NLT says, "Serve only the LORD your God and fear Him alone. Obey His commands, listen to His voice, and cling to Him."
Following God, honoring Him and clinging to Him is what will get us through these hard times.
I don't understand why people chose evil over good, but they do. They have that choice because God did not make us little robots, He gave us free will. I will never understand for the life of me how people get sucked into this way of thinking, that taking lives is ok.
The God of the Bible, He would never ask someone to kill someone else. One of His commandments is "Thou Shalt Not Kill."
Let me encourage you though. Do not live in fear. That's just what the enemy wants. Be cautious and safe, of course, but do not live in fear. God has you. Cling to Him. He will never leave or forsake you.
God bless you today and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment