Sunday, June 12, 2016

What This Symbol Means To Me

"Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart." 1 Samuel 16:7
This Scripture is in reference to when God was telling Samuel which one of Jesse's sons He wanted anointed as the next King of Israel. Samuel thought the older, bigger, more handsome son would have been God's choice. But he was not.
Life Change
As I was folding clothes the other day, I got my exercise clothes together and ready for Monday. The symbol on the picture is my friend's logo for their fitness center. It is on my t-shirt that I wear when I work out. It represents Reggie, our instructor with his wild hair flying in the wind. (He has long twists of hair.)
I stood there a minute, and thought about just what that symbol means to me. 
You see, I'm 42 years old, and just in the last year or so have I really figured out where my true value comes from. I now realize the truth that men look at the outside, God looks at the inside... and it also hit me that I was looking at my outside as well. 
I have struggled with my weight since I got married way back in 1993. You know that whole get married/ happy/ gain weight stuff. It's real.
Fast forward about 14 years into the marriage and I found out I had a condition called Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome. It is NOT fun. One of the main symptoms is that it keeps weight in the middle.
Well, for years, I did nothing because I didn't think I would get results. Therefore, I didn't want to try and be let down.
In 2012, when Susie started doing free Zumba classes at my church, I tried it... and fell in love with it! I had never found any exercise that I enjoyed. And I enjoy this so much, I get in the car and drive to class several times a week!
After my divorce, I lost weight from stress and all, but gained it back.
THEN, fall of 2014, Barbara and Reggie, who I met at Zumba class, were getting married. I helped with shopping, decorating, and directing their wedding that October. Then, they started their own fitness center, and I went with them. We only did Zumba for a long time, and that was cool, because I love it.
Then, Barbara started a circuit class on Saturdays. I went to it. I was the only one, so she shut it down. A few months ago, they started a class they call "Fat Furnace"... because you know, we burn fat! LOL
That class has totally changed my life, even more than Zumba. I am losing INCHES. I haven't really lost weight, but I'm losing inches and I look different. I have a WAIST! YES, a WAIST, that I haven't had in years. ( I promise to do some before and after pictures soon.)
So, this symbol, it means life change for me. It means that Barbara and Reggie want to help people like me get healthy.  With their help, I learned to care make changes in my eating habits and exercise.
For years I have been my own worst enemy. I would look in the mirror and think horrible things about myself. Last night, as I got ready to go bowling with a friend, I looked in the mirror, and I thought, "Dang, you look good." I FEEL good.
I do not care what anybody else thinks. I like what 's happening to my body. I am getting healthy for me. I am honoring God with my body and letting Him be my all.
There is something else this symbol stands for... support. Barbara and Reggie have been here for me. They get on to me when I need it, and they cheer me on like no one else ever has. I remember one night when we were doing these step up things.. I was running out of steam, and Barbara was yelling, "Come on Jill, lose another 4 inches in that waist!" She wants it for me. That's true friendship right there. She has even done research on PCOS and talked with me about it. (And she gives me healthy eating tips a good bit.)
I hope you have someone in your life that is your support, but more importantly, I hope you realize that your true value comes from your Heavenly Father. He fearfully and wonderfully made you. You are His masterpiece created for good works. He has a purpose and a plan for your life. It's not a plan to harm you but to give you hope and a future.
Will you go through the Bible and find out how He really feels about you.. then start believing it for yourself? I hope you know how special you are. Because you are. Seriously.
God bless you today and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment