Monday, June 27, 2016

What Fear Does

“18 There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.” 1John 4:18
My Pastor is still teaching on grace, and it's been so awesome. I wanted to share with you a few things that fear will do.
A lot of people are taught in church and if they mess up, God will punish them. We were also taught to FEAR God. What Fear Does
This "fear" is not the type you normally think of. Fear of God means to reverence Him, be in awe of Him, and respect Him. 
Here are a few things fear does:
  1. Fear only produces short term behavior modification. 
  2. Fear will keep you from having healthy relationships.
  3. Fear will keep you from doing what God has called you to do.
Have you ever had a parent or coach try to motivate you with fear? They want you to change your behavior, but the fear they instill in you only lasts a short while and you are right back to doing what they are trying to get you to stop doing. Fear doesn't produce lasting heart changes.
When you are afraid of someone, don't you avoid them? So, how that can work with God? We can't be afraid of Him and have a normal relationship with Him. It's not healthy.
I can speak from experience on fear keeping me from doing what God called me to do. I was supposed to publish my devotional book last summer. But I let fear stop me in my tracks. I did not publish it until December. The LAST day of December to be exact. LOL I should never have allowed that. 
God is love. 1 John 4:16 says, "“16 And so we know and rely on the love God has for us.God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them."
Like the Scripture I posted at the top, perfect love casts out fear.
If you are living in fear of God, you don't have to. He loves you. He wants a right, good relationship with you. Not one where you are afraid to mess up because He might punish you. 
Jesus took our punishment on the cross. 
Live out of God's love for you. Jesus told us that if we love Him, we'd keep His commandments. Let LOVE motivate you!
God bless you today and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment